With HIV Cure Research on the Horizon, Exploring Ethical Questions in Advance
Rigorous investigations into perceptions of HIV cure research, willingness to participate and the myriad ethical implications woven into these endeavors have begun in earnest on several continents. At AIDS 2016 in Durban, South Africa, a multidisciplinary panel of researchers discussed the ethical questions they have already attempted to answer, quandaries their explorations have revealed and common concerns and themes that are shaping the future of HIV cure study development.
Here are the main questions explored:
Table of Contents
- What Are Some of the Social Dimensions of HIV Cure Research?
- How Can Community Engagement Support HIV Cure Research?
- What Would Motivate, or Deter, Participation in HIV Cure Research?
- What Are the Ethical and Scientific Considerations of Analytical Treatment Interruptions?
- How Do We Define "HIV Cure"?
Olivia G. Ford is a contributing editor for TheBody.com and TheBodyPRO.com.