October 17, 2002
Safranek and health officials had yet to determine a cause for the outbreak. But he said they were looking at the possibilities that someone at the clinic might have used the same syringe to treat multiple patients, or that needle reuse had contaminated a vial of medication. Officials at Norman Regional Hospital in Norman, Okla., recently said at least 52 people who had been treated at a pain clinic there were infected with hepatitis C after a nurse used the same needle and syringe to give drugs to many patients.
The Nebraska clinic, which specialized in chemotherapy and hematology, shut down on Tuesday. Safranek said it was his understanding that the clinic was run independently by a local physician, Dr. Tahir Javed. The episode came to light when a local doctor noticed that several patients had a rare strain of hepatitis C, genotype 3A, said Safranek. All turned out to have been treated at the Fremont clinic. A spokesperson for the hospital said Javed left for Pakistan several months ago.
New York Times
10.17.02; Barry Meier
The content on this page is free of advertiser influence and was produced by our editorial team. See our content and advertising policies.
|Long-Acting HIV Treatment: 5 Myths and Realities|
|Two-Drug HIV Treatment Regimens Effective in Latest Studies|
|The Need to Advocate for Fair HIV Drug Prices|
|'Stop Describing, Start Intervening': Can the CDC's New Viral Load Data Help Guide HIV Programs?|
|IL-1β Inhibitor Lowers Arterial Inflammation in Adults With Controlled HIV|
|Significant Interaction Between Once-Weekly Isoniazid/Rifapentine and Daily Dolutegravir: Study Stopped Due to Toxicity|