The Evolution of Antiretroviral Therapy: Past, Present, and Future
April 18, 2018
- Centers for Disease C. Pneumocystis pneumonia -- Los Angeles. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1981;30:250-252.
- Centers for Disease C. A cluster of kaposi's sarcoma and pneumocystis carinii pneumonia among homosexual male residents of los angeles and orange counties, california. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1982;31:305-307.
- A Timeline of HIV and AIDS. Available at: www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview/history/hiv-and-aidstimeline. Accessed 25 FEB 2018.
- The United States President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief. Available at: www.pepfar.gov/index.htm. Accessed 25 FEB 2018.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in Adults and Adolescents Living with HIV. Available at: https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/html/1/adult-andadolescent-arv/0. Accessed 25 FEB 2018.
- Gulick RM, Mellors JW, Havlir D, et al. 3-year suppression of HIV viremia with indinavir, zidovudine, and lamivudine. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:35-39.
- Vella S, Schwartlander B, Sow SP, Eholie SP, Murphy RL. The history of antiretroviral therapy and of its implementation in resource-limited areas of the world. AIDS. 2012;26:1231-1241.
- Connor EM, Sperling RS, Gelber R, et al. Reduction of maternal-infant transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 with zidovudine treatment. Pediatric aids clinical trials group protocol 076 study group. N Engl J Med. 1994;331:1173-1180.
- Cameron DW, Japour AJ, Xu Y, et al. Ritonavir and saquinavir combination therapy for the treatment of HIV infection. AIDS. 1999;13:213-224.
- Mellors JW, Rinaldo CR, Jr., Gupta P, White RM, Todd JA, Kingsley LA. Prognosis in HIV-1 infection predicted by the quantity of virus in plasma. Science. 1996;272:1167-1170.
- FDA-Approved HIV Medicines. Available at: https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/understanding-hiv-aids/factsheets/21/58/fda-approved-hiv-medicines. Accessed 25 FEB 2018.
- Antiretroviral Therapy Cohort C. Survival of HIV-positive patients starting antiretroviral therapy between 1996 and 2013: A collaborative analysis of cohort studies. Lancet HIV. 2017;4:e349-e356.
- Lazzarin A, Campbell T, Clotet B, et al. Efficacy and safety of tmc125 (etravirine) in treatment-experienced HIV-1-infected patients in duet-2: 24-week results from a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2007;370:39-48.
- Steigbigel RT, Cooper DA, Kumar PN, et al. Raltegravir with optimized background therapy for resistant HIV-1 infection. N Engl J Med. 2008;359:339-354.
- Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al. Antiretroviral therapy for the prevention of HIV-1 transmission. N Engl J Med. 2016;375:830-839.
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. New HIV Infections Drop 18 Percent in Six Years. Available at: www.hiv.gov/blog/new-hivinfections-drop-18-percent-in-six-years. Accessed 25 FEB 2018.
- HIV & AIDS in the United States. Information from CDC's Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention. Letter: September 27, 2017. Available at: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/de0404_1f9f737da1674cdda5a42f7857cd4fa6.pdf. Accessed 25 FEB 2018.
- Montaner JS, Lima VD, Barrios R, et al. Association of highly active antiretroviral therapy coverage, population viral load, and yearly new HIV diagnoses in british columbia, canada: A population-based study. Lancet. 2010;376:532-539.
- Guaraldi G, Palella FJ, Jr. Clinical implications of aging with HIV infection: Perspectives and the future medical care agenda. AIDS. 2017;31 Suppl 2:S129-S135.
- De Clercq E. Role of tenofovir alafenamide (taf) in the treatment and prophylaxis of HIV and hbv infections. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017.
- Martin EG, Schackman BR. Treating and preventing HIV with generic drugs - barriers in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2018;378:316-319.
- Wohl DA, Kuwahara RK, Javadi K, et al. Financial barriers and lapses in treatment and care of HIVinfected adults in a southern state in the United States. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2017;31:463-469.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Sustained Viral Suppression and Transmission Risk Potential Among Persons Receiving HIV Care -- United States, 2014. MMWR. Feb 2018;67(4);113-118.
- World Health Organization. Treat all people living with HIV, offer antiretrovirals as additional prevention choice for people at "substantial" risk. Available at: www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/hiv-treat-allrecommendation/en/. Accessed 25 FEB 2018.
- Fok WK, Blumenthal PD. HIV and contraception. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2017;29:419-426.
- Cottrell ML, Yang KH, Prince HM, et al. A translational pharmacology approach to predicting outcomes of preexposure prophylaxis against HIV in men and women using tenofovir disoproxil fumarate with or without emtricitabine. J Infect Dis. 2016;214:55-64.
- Smit M, Brinkman K, Geerlings S, et al. Future challenges for clinical care of an ageing population infected with HIV: A modelling study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:810-818.
- Blake Helms C, Turan JM, Atkins G, et al. Interpersonal mechanisms contributing to the association between HIV-related internalized stigma and medication adherence. AIDS Behav. 2017;21:238-247.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV Care Outcomes Among Men Who Have Sex With Men With Diagnosed HIV Infection -- United States, 2015. MMWR. Sept 2018:66(37);969-974.
- Hoots BE, Finlayson TJ, Wejnert C, Paz-Bailey G, National HIVBSSG. Updated data on linkage to human immunodeficiency virus care and antiretroviral treatment among men who have sex with men-20 cities, United States. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:808-812.
- Wohl DA, Golin CE, Knight K, et al. Randomized controlled trial of an intervention to maintain suppression of HIV viremia after prison release: The impact trial. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;75:81-90.
- Cervia JS. Easing the transition of HIV-infected adolescents to adult care. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2013;27:692-696.
- Cahn P, Rolon MJ, Figueroa MI, et al. Dolutegravirlamivudine as initial therapy in HIV-1 infected, ARV-naive patients, 48-week results of the PADDLE (Pilot Antiretroviral Design with Dolutegravir LamivudinE) study. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20(1):21678.
- US National Library of Medicine. A Study of MK-8591 in Anti-Retroviral Therapy-Naive, Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 Infected Participants (MK-8591-003). July 11, 2017; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT02217904?term=mk-8591&rank=2 Accessed February 20, 2017.
- Margolis DA, Gonzalez-Garcia J, Stellbrink HJ, et al. Long-acting intramuscular cabotegravir and rilpivirine in adults with HIV-1 infection (LATTE-2): 96-week results of a randomised, open-label, phase 2b, non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2017;390:1499-1510.
- Gunawardana M, Remedios-chan M, Miller CS, et al. Pharmacokinetics of long-acting tenofovir alafenamide (GS-7340) subdermal implant for HIV prophylaxis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59(7):3913-9.
- Baeten JM, Palanee-Phillips T, Brown ER, et al. Use of a Vaginal Ring Containing Dapivirine for HIV-1 Prevention in Women. N Engl J Med. 2016;375(22):2121-2132.
- Mommers E, Blum GF, Gent TG, et al. Nexplanon, a radiopaque etonogestrel implant in combination with a next-generation applicator: 3-year results of a noncomparative multicenter trial. Am J Obstet Gynocol. 2012;207:e1-6.
- Tse WC. Discovery of novel potent HIV capsid inhibitors with long-acting potential. Webcast presented at: Poster session presented at: Conference of Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; 2017 Feb 13-16; Seattle, WA.
- Drugs. Department of Health and Human Services. Available at https://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/drugs. Accessed February 5, 2018.
- Scherrer D, Rouzier R, Noel Barrett P, et al. Pharmacokinetics and tolerability of ABX464, a novel first-in-class compound to treat HIV infection, in healthy HIV-uninfected subjects. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2017;72(3):820-828.
- Lewis S, Fessel J, Emu B, et al. Long-acting ibalizumab in patients with multi-drug resistant HIV-1: a 24-week study. Poster presented at: Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI); February 13-16, 2017; Seattle, Washington. Poster 449LB.
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Future Directions for HIV Treatment Research. Available at: www.niaid.nih.gov/diseases-conditions/future-hiv-treatment. Accessed March 9, 2018.
- Chaoran Y, Zhang T, Qu X, et al. In vivo excision of HIV-1 provirus by saCas9 and multiplex single-guide RNAs in animal models. Mol Ther. 2017;25:1168-1186.
[Note from TheBodyPRO: This article was originally published by AAHIVM in April 2018. We have cross-posted it with their permission.]
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy