Sorting Adherence Risk Factors to Shape Better Adherence Care
September 22, 2017
- Abara WE, Xu J, Adekeye OA, Rust G. The association between combination antiretroviral adherence and AIDS-defining conditions at HIV diagnosis. AIDS Care. 2016;28:1013-1017.
- Abara WE, Adekeye OA, Xu J, Heiman HJ, Rust G. Correlates of combination antiretroviral adherence among recently diagnosed older HIV-infected adults between 50 and 64 years. AIDS Behav. 2016;20:2674-2681.
- Puskas CM, Kaida A, Miller CL, et al. The adherence gap: a longitudinal examination of men's and women's antiretroviral therapy adherence in British Columbia, 2000-2014. AIDS. 2017;31:827-833.
- Marrone G, Mellgren A, Eriksson LE, Svedhem V. Adherence, treatment outcome and satisfaction with care using a nine-item health questionnaire in InfCareHIV. PLoS One. 2016;11:e0156916.
- Bardeguez AD, Lindsey JC, Shannon M, et al. Adherence to antiretrovirals among US women during and after pregnancy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;48:408-417.
- Gertsch A, Michel O, Locatelli I, et al. Adherence to antiretroviral treatment decreases during postpartum compared to pregnancy: a longitudinal electronic monitoring study. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2013;27:208-210
- Huntington S, Thorne C, Newell ML, et al. The risk of viral rebound in the year after delivery in women remaining on antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2015;29:2269-2278.
- Mellins CA, Chu C, Malee K, et al. Adherence to antiretroviral treatment among pregnant and postpartum HIV-infected women. AIDS Care. 2008;20:958-968.
- O'Connor JL, Gardner EM, Mannheimer SB, et al. Factors associated with adherence amongst 5295 people receiving antiretroviral therapy as part of an international trial. J Infect Dis. 2013;208:40-49.
- Kong MC, Nahata MC, Lacombe VA, Seiber EE, Balkrishnan R. Association between race, depression, and antiretroviral therapy adherence in a low-income population with HIV infection. J Gen Intern Med. 2012;27:1159-1164.
- Ghidei L, Simone MJ, Salow MJ, et al. Aging, antiretrovirals, and adherence: a meta analysis of adherence among older HIV-infected individuals. Drugs Aging. 2013;30:809-819.
- King RM, Vidrine DJ, Danysh HE, et al. Factors associated with nonadherence to antiretroviral therapy in HIV-positive smokers. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2012;26:479-485.
- Glass TR, Battegay M, Cavassini M, et al. Longitudinal analysis of patterns and predictors of changes in self-reported adherence to antiretroviral therapy: Swiss HIV Cohort Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010;54:197-203.
- Shubber Z, Mills EJ, Nachega JB, et al. Patient-reported barriers to adherence to antiretroviral therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med. 2016;13:e1002183.
- Chesney MA, Ickovics JR, Chambers DB, et al. Self-reported adherence to antiretroviral medications among participants in HIV clinical trials: the AACTG adherence instruments. Patient Care Committee & Adherence Working Group of the Outcomes Committee of the Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group (AACTG). AIDS Care. 2000;12:255-266.
- Azar MM, Springer SA, Meyer JP, Altice FL. A systematic review of the impact of alcohol use disorders on HIV treatment outcomes, adherence to antiretroviral therapy and health care utilization. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010;112:178-193.
- Lazo M, Gange SJ, Wilson TE, et al. Patterns and predictors of changes in adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy: longitudinal study of men and women. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45:1377-1385.
- Kalichman SC, Grebler T, Amaral CM, et al. Viral suppression and antiretroviral medication adherence among alcohol using HIV-positive adults. Int J Behav Med. 2014;21:811-820.
- Cohn SE, Umbleja T, Mrus J, Bardeguez AD, Andersen JW, Chesney MA. Prior illicit drug use and missed prenatal vitamins predict nonadherence to antiretroviral therapy in pregnancy: adherence analysis A5084. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2008;22:29-40.
- Gross IM, Hosek S, Richards MH, Fernandez MI. Predictors and profiles of antiretroviral therapy adherence among African American adolescents and young adult males living with HIV. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2016;30:324-338.
- Langebeek N, Gisolf EH, Reiss P, et al. Predictors and correlates of adherence to combination antiretroviral therapy (ART) for chronic HIV infection: a meta-analysis. BMC Med. 2014;12:142.
- MacDonell KK, Jacques-Tiura AJ, Naar S, Fernandez MI, ATN 086/106 Protocol Team. Predictors of self-reported adherence to antiretroviral medication in a multisite study of ethnic and racial minority HIV-positive youth. J Pediatr Psychol. 2016;41:419-428.
- Cohn SE, Jiang H, McCutchan JA, et al. Association of ongoing drug and alcohol use with non-adherence to antiretroviral therapy and higher risk of AIDS and death: results from ACTG 362. AIDS Care. 2011;23:775-785.
- Kalichman S, Kalichman MO, Cherry C. Medication beliefs and structural barriers to treatment adherence among people living with HIV infection. Psychol Health. 2016;31:383-395.
- Shuter J, Bernstein SL. Cigarette smoking is an independent predictor of nonadherence in HIV-infected individuals receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy. Nicotine Tob Res. 2008;10:731-736.
- Kacanek D, Angelidou K, Williams PL, Chernoff M, Gadow KD, Nachman S; International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials Group (IMPAACT) P1055 Study Team. Psychiatric symptoms and antiretroviral nonadherence in US youth with perinatal HIV: a longitudinal study. AIDS. 2015;29:1227-1237.
- Walkup J, Akincigil A, Bilder S, Rosato NS, Crystal S. Psychiatric diagnosis and antiretroviral adherence among adolescent Medicaid beneficiaries diagnosed with human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2009;197:354-361.
- Naar-King S, Montepiedra G, Garvie P, et al. Social ecological predictors of longitudinal HIV treatment adherence in youth with perinatally acquired HIV. J Pediatr Psychol. 2013;38:664-674.
- Nachega JB, Uthman OA, Peltzer K, et al. Association between antiretroviral therapy adherence and employment status: systematic review and meta-analysis. Bull World Health Organ. 2015;93:29-41.
- Singer AW, Weiser SD, McCoy SI. Does food insecurity undermine adherence to antiretroviral therapy? A systematic review. AIDS Behav. 2015;19:1510-1526.
- Kalichman SC, Grebler T. Stress and poverty predictors of treatment adherence among people with low-literacy living with HIV/AIDS. Psychosom Med. 2010;72:810-816.
- Harris RA, Xue X, Selwyn PA. Housing stability and medication adherence among HIV-positive individuals in antiretroviral therapy: a meta-analysis of observational studies in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;74:309-3317.
- Aidala AA, Wilson MG, Shubert V, et al. Housing status, medical care, and health outcomes among people living with HIV/AIDS: a systematic review. Am J Public Health. 2016;106(1):e1-e23.
- Mugavero MJ, Raper JL, Reif S, et al. Overload: impact of incident stressful events on antiretroviral medication adherence and virologic failure in a longitudinal, multisite human immunodeficiency virus cohort study. Psychosom Med. 2009;71:920-926.
- O'Donnell JK, Gaynes BN, Cole SR, et al. Stressful and traumatic life events as disruptors to antiretroviral therapy adherence. AIDS Care. 2017;28:1-8.
- Quinn K, Voisin DR, Bouris A, Schneider J. Psychological distress, drug use, sexual risks and medication adherence among young HIV-positive black men who have sex with men: exposure to community violence matters. AIDS Care. 2016;28:866-872.
- Li H, Marley G, Ma W, et al. The role of ARV associated adverse drug reactions in influencing adherence among HIV-infected individuals: a systematic review and qualitative meta-synthesis. AIDS Behav. 2017;21:341-351.
- Al-Dakkak I, Patel S, McCann E, Gadkari A, Prajapati G, Maiese EM. The impact of specific HIV treatment-related adverse events on adherence to antiretroviral therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS Care. 2013;25:400-414.
- Bock P, James A, Nikuze A, et al. Baseline CD4 count and adherence to antiretroviral therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016;73:514-521.
- Pasternak AO, de Bruin M, Bakker M, Berkhout B, Prins JM. High current CD4+ T cell count predicts suboptimal adherence to antiretroviral therapy. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0140791.
- Cantudo-Cuenca MR, Jiménez-Galán R, Almeida-Gonzalez CV, Morillo-Verdugo R. Concurrent use of comedications reduces adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected patients. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2014;20:844-850.
- Tedaldi EM, van den Berg-Wolf M, Richardson J, et al. Sadness in the SUN: using computerized screening to analyze correlates of depression and adherence in HIV-infected adults in the United States. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2012;26:718-729.
- Tyer-Viola LA, Corless IB, Webel A, Reid P, Sullivan KM, Nichols P; International Nursing Network for HIV/AIDS Research. Predictors of medication adherence among HIV-positive women in North America. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2014;43:168-178.
- Uthman OA, Magidson JF, Safren SA, Nachega JB. Depression and adherence to antiretroviral therapy in low-, middle- and high-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2014;11:291-307.
- Andrade AS, Deutsch R, Celano S, et al. Relationships among neurocognitive status, medication adherence measured by pharmacy refill records, and virologic suppression in HIV-infected persons. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013;62:282-292.
- Kalichman SC, Kalichman MO, Cherry C. Forget about forgetting: structural barriers and severe non-adherence to antiretroviral therapy. AIDS Care. 2017;29:418-422.
- Blackstone K, Woods SP, Weber E, Grant I, Moore DJ; HNRP Group. Memory-based strategies for antiretroviral medication management: an evaluation of clinical predictors, adherence behavior awareness, and effectiveness. AIDS Behav. 2013;17:74-85.
- Saberi P, Neilands TB, Vittinghoff E, Johnson MO, Chesney M, Cohn SE. Barriers to antiretroviral therapy adherence and plasma HIV RNA suppression among AIDS Clinical Trials Group study participants. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2015;29:111-116.
- Azen R, Traxel NM. Using dominance analysis to determine predictor importance in logistic regression. J Edu Behav Statistics. 2009;34:319-347.
- Budescu DV. Dominance analysis: A new approach to the problem of relative importance of predictors in multiple regression. Psychol Bull. 1993;114:542-551.
- Sauceda JA, Neilands TB, Johnson MO, Saberi P. An update on the barriers to adherence and a definition of self-report non-adherence given advancements in antiretroviral therapy (ART). AIDS Behav. 2017 Mar 28. doi: 10.1007/s10461-017-1759-9.
- Nachega JB, Uthman OA, Anderson J, et al. Adherence to antiretroviral therapy during and after pregnancy in low-income, middle-income, and high-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS. 2012;26:2039-2052.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Recommendations for use of antiretroviral drugs in pregnant HIV-1-infected women for maternal health and interventions to reduce perinatal HIV transmission in the United States. October 2016.
- Pence BW, Gaynes BN, Adams JL, et al. The effect of antidepressant treatment on HIV and depression outcomes: results from a randomized trial. AIDS. 2015;29:1975-1986.
- Sin NL, DiMatteo MR. Depression treatment enhances adherence to antiretroviral therapy: a meta-analysis. Ann Behav Med. 2014;47:259-269.
- Springer SA, Dushaj A, Azar MM. The impact of DSM-IV mental disorders on adherence to combination antiretroviral therapy among adult persons living with HIV/AIDS: a systematic review. AIDS Behav. 2012;16:2119-2143.
- Horberg MA, Silverberg MJ, Hurley LB, et al. Effects of depression and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor use on adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy and on clinical outcomes in HIV-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;47:384-390.
- Pence BW, O'Donnell JK, Gaynes BN. Falling through the cracks: the gaps between depression prevalence, diagnosis, treatment, and response in HIV care. AIDS. 2012;26:656-658.
- Pellowski JA, Kalichman SC, Kalichman MO, Cherry C. Alcohol-antiretroviral therapy interactive toxicity beliefs and daily medication adherence and alcohol use among people living with HIV. AIDS Care. 2016;28:963-970.
- Kalichman SC, Amaral CM, White D, et al. Alcohol and adherence to antiretroviral medications: interactive toxicity beliefs among people living with HIV. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2012;23:511-520.
- Kalichman SC, Kalichman MO, Cherry C, et al. Intentional medication nonadherence because of interactive toxicity beliefs among HIV-positive active drug users. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015;70:503-509.
- Cioe PA, Gamarel KE, Pantalone DW, Monti PM, Mayer KH, Kahler CW. Cigarette smoking and antiretroviral therapy (ART) adherence in a sample of heavy drinking HIV-infected men who have sex with men (MSM). AIDS Behav. 2017;21:1956-1963.
- Moreno JL, Catley D, Lee HS, Goggin K. The relationship between ART adherence and smoking status among HIV+ individuals. AIDS Behav. 2015;19:619-625.
- Degroote S, Vogelaers D, Vermeir P, et al. Determinants of adherence in a cohort of Belgian HIV patients: a pilot study. Acta Clin Belg. 0 02014;69:111-115.
[Note from TheBodyPRO.com: This article was originally published by The Centfor for AIDS Information and Advocay in September, 2017. We have cross-posted it with their permission.]
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy