Hepatitis C in Canadian Immigrants and Newcomers: Why Are Hepatitis C Rates Higher in These Populations?
February 6, 2017
- Greenaway C, Thu Ma A, Kloda L, et al. The seroprevalence of hepatitis C antibodies in immigrants and refugees from intermediate and high endemic countries: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(11):e0141715. Available from http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0141715
- Trubnikov M, Yan P, Archibald C. Estimated Prevalence of Hepatitis C Virus infection in Canada, 2011. Canada Communicable Disease Report: Volume 40-19, December 18, 2014. Available at: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/14vol40/dr-rm40-19/surveillance-b-eng.php
- Immigration and Ethnocultural Diversity in Canada. National Household Survey, 2011. Ministry of Industry, 2013. Available from: www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/as-sa/99-010-x/99-010-x2011001-eng.cfm
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Facts and figures 2014 -- Immigration overview: Permanent residents. Canada -- Permanent residents by source category. Government of Canada, 2015. Available from: www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2014/permanent/02.asp
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Facts and figures 2013 -- Immigration overview: Permanent residents. Canada -- Permanent residents by source country. Government of Canada, 2015. Available from: www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2013/permanent/10.asp
- Lavanchy D. Evolving epidemiology of hepatitis C virus. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2011 February;17(2): 107-115. Available from: www.clinicalmicrobiologyandinfection.com/article/S1198-743X(14)61648-7/fulltext
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Panel Members' Handbook 2013. Government of Canada, 2013. Available from: www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/publications/dmp-handbook/index.asp
- CATIE. Hepatitis C's impact on Canadian newcomers [webinar]. CATI E, 2016. Available from: www.catie.ca/en/webinars/hepatitis-c-impact-canadian-immigrants-and-newcomers
- Public Health Agency of Canada. Canadian Guidelines on Sexually Transmitted Infections: Section 6 -- Specific populations, Revised July 2013. Ottawa: PHAC; 2013. Available from: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/std-mts/sti-its/cgsti-ldcits/section-6-1-eng.php
- Immigration Medical Examination Instructions: Hepatitis/liver disease. Centre for Communicable Diseases and Infection Control, Public Health Agency of Canada, 2013. Available from: www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/IMEI_Hepatitis.pdf
- Payne E, Totten S, Archibald C. Hepatitis C surveillance in Canada. Canada Communicable Disease Report. 2014 Dec 18;40(19). Available from: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/14vol40/dr-rm40-19/surveillance-a-eng.php
- Hepatitis C. World Health Organization. 2017. Available from: www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs164/en/
- Waheed Y, Shafi T, Safi SZ, Qadri I. Hepatitis C virus in Pakistan: A systematic review of prevalence, genotypes and risk factors. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009 Dec 7;15(45):5647-5653. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2789216/
- Waheed Y, Safi SZ, Qadri I. Role of Potash Alum in Hepatitis C virus Transmission at Barber's Shop. Virology Journal. 2011;8:211. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3112445/
- Wazir MS, Mehmood S, Ahmed A, Jadoon HR. Awareness among barbers about health hazards associated with their profession. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad. 2008 Apr-Jun;20(2):35-38.
- Khan AA, Saleem M, Qureshi H, et al. Comparison of need and supply of syringes for therapeutic injections in Pakistan. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association. 2010 November. Available from: http://jpma.org.pk/full_article_text.php?article_id=3793
- Kamstra R, Azoulay L, Steele R, Klein M, Greenaway C. Hospitalizations in Immigrants and Nonimmigrants Diagnosed With Chronic Hepatitis C Infection in Québec. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2016;63(11):1439-1448.
- Pottie K, Greenaway C, Feightner J, et al. Evidence-based clinical guidelines for immigrants and Refugees. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2011 September 6;183(12):E824-E925. Available from: www.cmaj.ca/content/183/12/E824
- Ha S, Totten S, Pogany L, et al. Hepatitis C in Canada and the importance of risk-based screening. Canada Communicable Disease Report. 2014 Mar 3;42-3:57-62. Available from: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/16vol42/dr-rm42-3/assets/pdf/16vol42_3-ar-02-eng.pdf
- Greenaway C, Wong D, Assayag D, et al. Screening for hepatitis C infection: evidence review for newly arriving immigrants and refugees. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2011; 183(12):E861-E864.
- Shah HA, Heathcote J, Feld JJ. A Canadian screening program for hepatitis C: Is now the time? Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013 Oct 15;185(15):1325-1328. Available from: www.cmaj.ca/content/185/15/1325
- Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario), Provincial Infectious Diseases Advisory Committee. Recommendations for the public health response to hepatitis C in Ontario. Toronto, ON: Queen's Printer for Ontario; 2014. Available from: www.publichealthontario.ca/en/eRepository/Recommendations_Public_Health_Response_Hepatitis_C.pdf
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on the Prevention and Control of Viral Hepatitis Infection. Knowledge and Awareness About Chronic Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. In: Colvin HM, Mitchell AE, (eds.) Hepatitis and Liver Cancer: A National Strategy for Prevention and Control of Hepatitis B and C. Washington, DC: National Academies Press (US); 2010. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK220038/
- Ferrante JM, Dock G, Winston DG, Chen P-H.de la Torre AN. Family Physicians' Knowledge and Screening of Chronic Hepatitis and Liver Cancer. Family Medicine. 2008 May;40(5): 345-351. Available from: www.stfm.org/fmhub/fm2008/May/Jeanne345.pdf
- Greenaway C. Hepatitis C in migrants: An underappreciated group at increased risk [webinar]. CATIE, 2015. Available from: www.catie.ca/en/hepatitis-c-migrants-underappreciated-group-increased-risk
- Yan MC, Chan S. Are social workers ready to work with newcomers? Canadian Social Work. 2011;12:16-23.
- Primary Health Care Section, Nova Scotia Department of Health. A Cultural Competence Guide for Primary Health Care Professionals in Nova Scotia; 2005. Available from: http://healthteamnovascotia.ca/cultural_competence/Cultural_Competence_guide_for_Primary_Health_Care_Professionals.pdf
- Identifying Vulnerable Workers and Precarious Work. In: Vulnerable Workers and Precarious Work: Final Report. Law Commission of Ontario, Toronto, ON; December 2012. Available from: www.lco-cdo.org/en/vulnerable-workers-interim-report-sectionii
- Premji S, Shakya Y, Spasevski M, et al, Precarious work experiences of racialized immigrant women in Toronto: A community-based study. Just Labour. 2014; 22: 122-143. Available from: www.justlabour.yorku.ca/volume22/pdfs/08_premji_et_al_press.pdf
- Social and Economic Factors that Influence Our Health and Contribute to Health Inequalities. In: The Chief Public Health Officer's Report on the State of Public Health in Canada 2008. Government of Canada, 2008. Available from: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cphorsphc-respcacsp/2008/fr-rc/cphorsphc-respcacsp07i-eng.php
- Asanin J, Wilson K. "I spent nine years looking for a doctor": Exploring access to health care among immigrants in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Social Science & Medicine. 2008 Mar;6:1271-1283.
- Strengthening employment legislation in Ontario: Upstream policies to help promote health and well being. Association of Ontario Health Centres. 2015. Available from: www.aohc.org/sites/default/files/documents/2015-06-18%20-%20Final%20AOHC%20Submission%20Changing%20Workplaces%20Review.pdf
- Addressing Inequalities -- Where are we in Canada. In: The Chief Public Health Officer's Report on the State of Public Health in Canada 2008. Government of Canada, 2008. Available from: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cphorsphc-respcacsp/2008/fr-rc/cphorsphc-respcacsp07i-eng.php www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cphorsphc-respcacsp/2008/fr-rc/cphorsphc-respcacsp11-eng.php#397
- Housing, Family and Social Statistics Division, Statistics Canada. Immigrants' choice of destination. In: Longitudinal Survey of Immigrants to Canada: Process, progress and prospects. Ministry of Industry, 2003. Available from: www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-611-x/4152881-eng.htm
- Murdie RA. Diversity and concentration in Canadian immigration. Centre for Urban & Community Studies Research Bulletin. 2008 Mar;42. Available from: www.urbancentre.utoronto.ca/pdfs/researchbulletins/CUCSRB42-Murdie-Cdn-Immigration3-2008.pdf
- Cotler SJ, Cotler S, Xie H, et al. Characterizing hepatitis B stigma in Chinese immigrants. Journal of Viral Hepatitis. 2012 Feb;19(2):147-152.
- Caulford P. Health care for Canada's medically uninsured immigrants and refugees. Whose problem is it? Canadian Family Physician. 2012 Jul;58(7):725-727. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3395500/
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy