High Depression Rates With HIV -- and Its Scathing Clinical Impact
- Asch SM, Kilbourne AM, Gifford AL, et al. Underdiagnosis of depression in HIV: who are we missing? J Gen Intern Med. 2003;18:450-460.
- Weaver MR, Conover CJ, Proescholdbell RJ, Arno PS, Ang A, Ettner SL. Utilization of mental health and substance abuse care for people living with HIV/AIDS, chronic mental illness, and substance abuse disorders. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;47:449-458.
- Sueoka K, Goulet JL, Fiellin DA, et al. Depression symptoms and treatment among HIV infected and uninfected veterans. AIDS Behav. 2010;14:272-279.
- Pence BW, O'Donnell JK, Gaynes BN. Falling through the cracks: the gaps between depression prevalence, diagnosis, treatment, and response in HIV care. AIDS. 2012;26:656-658.
- Kessler RC, Berglund P, Demler O, Jin R, Merikangas KR, Walters EE. Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:593-596. Erratum in: Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:768. Merikangas, Kathleen R [added].
- Bing EG, Burnam MA, Longshore D, et al. Psychiatric disorders and drug use among human immunodeficiency virus-infected adults in the United States. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2001;58:721-728.
- Slot M, Sodemann M, Gabel C, Holmskov J, Laursen T, Rodkjaer L. Factors associated with risk of depression and relevant predictors of screening for depression in clinical practice: a cross-sectional study among HIV-infected individuals in Denmark. HIV Med. 2015; 16:393-402.
- Anagnostopoulos A, Ledergerber B, Jaccard R, et al. Frequency of and risk factors for depression among participants in the Swiss HIV Cohort Study (SHCS). PLoS One. 2015;10:e0140943.
- Israelski DM, Prentiss DE, Lubega S, et al. Psychiatric comorbidity in vulnerable populations receiving primary care for HIV/AIDS. AIDS Care. 2007;19:220-225.
- Robertson K, Bayon C, Molina JM, et al. Screening for neurocognitive impairment, depression, and anxiety in HIV-infected patients in Western Europe and Canada. AIDS Care. 2014;26:1555-1561.
- Marando F, Gualberti G, Costanzo AM, et al. Discrepancies between physician's perception of depression in HIV patients and self-reported CES-D-20 assessment: the DHIVA study. AIDS Care. 2016;28:147-159.
- Bhatia R, Hartman C, Kallen MA, Graham J, Giordano TP. Persons newly diagnosed with HIV infection are at high risk for depression and poor linkage to care: results from the Steps Study. AIDS Behav. 2011;15:1161-1170.
- Do AN, Rosenberg ES, Sullivan PS, et al. Excess burden of depression among HIV-infected persons receiving medical care in the United States: data from the Medical Monitoring Project and the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. PLoS One. 2014;9:e92842.
- Ciesla JA, Roberts JE. Meta-analysis of the relationship between HIV infection and risk for depressive disorders. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158:725-730.
- Atkinson JH, Heaton RK, Patterson TL, et al. Two-year prospective study of major depressive disorder in HIV-infected men. J Affect Disord. 2008;108:225-234.
- Serafini G, Montebovi F, Lamis DA, et al. Associations among depression, suicidal behavior, and quality of life in patients with human immunodeficiency virus. World J Virol. 2015;4:303-312.
- Badiee J, Moore DJ, Atkinson JH, et al. Lifetime suicidal ideation and attempt are common among HIV+ individuals. J Affect Disord. 2012;136:993-999.
- Treisman G. HIV, depression and aging. 5th International Workshop on HIV and Aging. October 20-21, 2014, Baltimore.
- Ickovics JR, Hamburger ME, Vlahov D, et al. Mortality, CD4 cell count decline, and depressive symptoms among HIV-seropositive women: longitudinal analysis from the HIV Epidemiology Research Study. JAMA. 2001;285:1466-1474.
- Cook JA, Grey D, Burke J, et al. Depressive symptoms and AIDS-related mortality among a multisite cohort of HIV-positive women. Am J Public Health. 2004;94:1133-1140.
- Leserman J, Pence BW, Whetten K, et al. Relation of lifetime trauma and depressive symptoms to mortality in HIV. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164:1707-1713.
- Bengtson A, Pence BW, Crane HM, et al. Depression increases the risk of mortality in a large cohort of HIV-infected adults. Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI), February 22-25, 2016, Boston. Abstract 920.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Mental health. Depression.
- Gallo JJ, Hwang S, Joo JH, et al. Multimorbidity, depression, and mortality in primary care: randomized clinical trial of an evidence-based depression care management program on mortality risk. J Gen Intern Med. 2016;31:380-386.
- White JR, Chang CC, So-Armah KA, et al. Depression and human immunodeficiency virus infection are risk factors for incident heart failure among veterans: Veterans Aging Cohort Study. Circulation. 2015;132:1630-1638.
- Zuniga JA, Yoo-Jeong M, Tian D, Ying G, Drenna WV. The role of depression in retention in care for persons living with HIV. AIDS Patient Care STD. 2016;30:34-38.
- Sin NL, DiMatteo MR. Depression treatment enhances adherence to antiretroviral therapy: a meta-analysis. Ann Behav Med. 2014; 47:259-269.
- Gonzalez JS, Batchelder AW, Psaros C, Safren SA. Depression and HIV/AIDS treatment nonadherence: a review and meta-analysis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;58:181-187.
- Tedaldi EM, van den Berg-Wolf M, Richardson J, et al. Sadness in the SUN: using computerized screening to analyze correlates of depression and adherence in HIV-infected adults in the United States. AIDS Patient Care STD. 2012;26:718-729.
- Kacanek D, Jacobson DL, Spiegelman D, Wanke C, Isaac R, Wilson IB. Incident depression symptoms are associated with poorer HAART adherence: a longitudinal analysis from the Nutrition for Healthy Living study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010;53:266-272.
- Sheth SS, Coleman J, Cannon T, et al. Association between depression and nonadherence to antiretroviral therapy in pregnant women with perinatally acquired HIV. AIDS Care. 2015;27:350-354.
- Horberg MA, Silverberg MJ, Hurley LB, et al. Effects of depression and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor use on adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy and on clinical outcomes in HIV-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;47:384-390.
- Taniguchi T, Shacham E, Onen NF, Grubb JR, Overton ET. Depression severity is associated with increased risk behaviors and decreased CD4 cell counts. AIDS Care. 2014;26:1004-1012.
- Shacham E, Nurutdinova D, Satyanarayana V, Stamm K, Overton ET. Routine screening for depression: identifying a challenge for successful HIV care. AIDS Patient Care STD. 2009;23:949-955.
- Gokhale R, Bradley H, Garg S, Shouse RL. HIV viral suppression among adults diagnosed with depression in the United States. Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI), February 22-25, 2016, Boston. Abstract 1037.
- Angelino AF, Treisman GJ. Management of psychiatric disorders in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;33:847-856.
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy