Smoking's Pernicious Impact Worse With HIV Infection
- World Health Organization. WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2013: enforcing bans on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship. Geneva, Switzerland. 2013.
- Crothers K, Goulet JL, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, et al. Impact of cigarette smoking on mortality in HIV-positive and HIV-negative veterans. AIDS Educ Prev. 2009;21(3 suppl):40-53.
- Rasmussen LD, Helleberg M, May MT, et al. Myocardial infarction among Danish HIV-infected individuals: population-attributable fractions associated with smoking. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:1415-1423.
- Hessol NA, Martinez-Maza O, Levine AM, et al. Lung cancer incidence and survival among HIV-infected and uninfected women and men. AIDS. 2015;29:1183-1193.
- Helleberg M, May MT, Ingle SM, et al. Smoking and life expectancy among HIV-infected individuals on antiretroviral therapy in Europe and North America. AIDS. 2015;29:221-229.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Smoking and tobacco use. Tobacco-related mortality. 2014.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Smoking and tobacco use. Health effects of cigarette smoking. 2014.
- Mussini C, Galli L, Lepri AC, et al. Incidence, timing, and determinants of bacterial pneumonia among HIV-infected patients: data from the ICONA Foundation Cohort. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013;63:339-345.
- Gordin FM, Roediger MP, Girard PM, et al. Pneumonia in HIV-infected persons increased risk with cigarette smoking and treatment interruption. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008;178:630-636.
- De P, Farley A, Lindson N, Aveyard P. Systematic review and meta-analysis: influence of smoking cessation on incidence of pneumonia in HIV. BMC Med. 2013;11:15.
- Madeddu G, Fois AG, Calia GM, et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: an emerging comorbidity in HIV-infected patients in the HAART era. Infection. 2013;41:347-353.
- Kunisaki KM, Niewoehner DE, Collins G, et al. Pulmonary function in an international sample of HIV-positive, treatment-naïve adults with CD4 counts > 500 cells/μL: a substudy of the INSIGHT Strategic Timing of AntiRetroviral Treatment (START) trial. HIV Med. 2015;16(suppl 1):119-128.
- Guaraldi G, Besutti G, Scaglioni R, et al. The burden of image based emphysema and bronchiolitis in HIV-infected individuals on antiretroviral therapy. PLoS One. 2014;9:e109027.
- Harboe ZB, Larsen MV, Ladelund S, et al. Incidence and risk factors for invasive pneumococcal disease in HIV-infected and non-HIV-infected individuals before and after the introduction of combination antiretroviral therapy: persistent high risk among HIV-infected injecting drug users. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;59:1168-1176.
- Shiels MS, Cole SR, Kirk GD, Poole C. A meta-analysis of the incidence of non-AIDS cancers in HIV-infected individuals. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009;52:611-622.
- Krishnan S, Schouten JT, Jacobson DL, et al. Incidence of non-AIDS-defining cancer in antiretroviral treatment-naive subjects after antiretroviral treatment initiation: an ACTG longitudinal linked randomized trials analysis. Oncology. 2011;80:42-49.
- The Data Collection on Adverse Events in Anti-HIV Drugs (D:A:D) Study Group. Factors associated with specific causes of death amongst HIV-positive individuals in the D:A:D study. AIDS. 2010;24:1537-1548.
- Helleberg M, Gerstoft J, Afzal S, et al. Risk of cancer among HIV-infected individuals compared to the background population: impact of smoking and HIV. AIDS. 2014;28:1499-1508.
- Lifson AR, Neuhaus J, Arribas JR, et al. Smoking-related health risks among persons with HIV in the Strategies for Management of Antiretroviral Therapy Clinical Trial. Am J Public Health. 2010;100:1896-1903.
- Vandenhende MA, Roussillon C, Henard S, et al. Cancer-related causes of death among HIV-infected patients in France in 2010: evolution since 2000. PLoS One. 2000;10:e0129550.
- Clifford GM, Lise M, Franceschi S, et al. Lung cancer in the Swiss HIV Cohort Study: role of smoking, immunodeficiency and pulmonary infection. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:447-452.
- Engsig FN, Kronborg G, Larsen CS, et al. Lung cancer in HIV patients and their parents: a Danish cohort study. BMC Cancer. 2011;11:272.
- Marcus JL, Chao C, Leyden WA, et al. Survival among HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected individuals with common non-AIDSdefining cancers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015;24:1167-1673.
- Minkoff H, Feldman JG, Strickler HD, et al. Relationship between smoking and human papillomavirus infections in HIV-infected and -uninfected women. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:1821-1828.
- Massad LS, Xie X, Burk R, et al. Long-term cumulative detection of human papillomavirus among HIV seropositive women. AIDS. 2014;28:2601-2608.
- Ellerbrock TV, Chiasson MA, Bush TJ, et al. Incidence of cervical squamous intraepithelial lesions in HIV-infected women. JAMA. 2000;283:1031-1037.
- Wiley DJ, Elashoff D, Masongsong EV, et al. Smoking enhances risk for new external genital warts in men. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2009;6:1215-1234.
- Bertisch B, Franceschi S, Lise M, et al. Risk factors for anal cancer in persons infected with HIV: a nested case-control study in the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;178:877-884.
- Read TRH, Hocking JS, Vodstrcil LA, et al. Oral human papillomavirus in men having sex with men: risk-factors and sampling. PLoS One. 2012;7:e49324.
- Beachler DC, Sugar EA, Margolick JB, et al. Risk factors for acquisition and clearance of oral human papillomavirus infection among HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected adults. Am J Epidemiol. 2015;181:40-53.
- Calvo-Sánchez M, Perelló R, Pérez I, et al. Differences between HIV-infected and uninfected adults in the contributions of smoking, diabetes and hypertension to acute coronary syndrome: two parallel case-control studies. HIV Med. 2013;14:40-48.
- Petoumenos K, Worm S, Reiss P, et al. Rates of cardiovascular disease following smoking cessation in patients with HIV infection: results from the D:A:D study. HIV Med. 2011;12:412-421.
- Sobieszczyk ME, Hoover DR, Anastos K, et al. Prevalence and predictors of metabolic syndrome among HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected women in the Women's Interagency HIV Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;48:272-280.
- Shiau S, Broun EC, Arpadi SM, Yin MT. Incident fractures in HIV-infected individuals: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS. 2013;27:1949-1957.
- Dong HV, Cortes YI, Shiau S, Yin MT. Osteoporosis and fractures in HIV/hepatitis C virus coinfection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS. 2014;28:2119-2131.
- Míguez-Burbano MJ, Wyatt C, Lewis JE, Rodríguez A, Duncan R. Ignoring the obvious missing piece of chronic kidney disease in HIV: cigarette smoking. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2010;21:16-24.
- Ryom L, Mocroft A, Kirk O, et al. Predictors of advanced chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease in HIV-positive persons. AIDS. 2014;28:187-199.
- Patel PK, Erlandsen JE, Kirkpatrick WR, et al. The changing epidemiology of oropharyngeal candidiasis in patients with HIV/AIDS in the era of antiretroviral therapy. AIDS Res Treat. 2012;2012:262471.
- Chattopadhyay A, Patton LL. Smoking as a risk factor for oral candidiasis in HIV-infected adults. J Oral Pathol Med. 2013; 42:302-308.
- Alpagot T, Duzgunes N, Wolff LF, Lee A. Risk factors for periodontitis in HIV patients. J Periodontal Res. 2004;39:149-157.
- Sroussi HY, Villines D, Epstein J, Alves MC, Alves ME. Oral lesions in HIV-positive dental patients -- one more argument for tobacco smoking cessation. Oral Dis. 2007;13:324-328.
- Aliyu MH, Weldeselasse H, August EM, Keith LG, Salihu HM. Cigarette smoking and fetal morbidity outcomes in a large cohort of HIV-infected mothers. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013;15:177-184.
- Bénard A, Mercié P, Alioum A, et al. Bacterial pneumonia among HIV-infected patients: decreased risk after tobacco smoking cessation. ANRS CO3 Aquitaine Cohort, 2000-2007. PLoS One. 2010;5:e8896.
- O'Connor JL, Gardner EM, Mannheimer SB, et al. Factors associated with adherence amongst 5295 people receiving antiretroviral therapy as part of an international trial. J Infect Dis. 2013;208:40-49.
- Shuter J, Bernstein SL. Cigarette smoking is an independent predictor of nonadherence in HIV-infected individuals receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy. Nicotine Tob Res. 2008;10:731-736.
- O'Cleirigh C, Valentine SE, Pinkston M, et al. The unique challenges facing HIV-positive patients who smoke cigarettes: HIV viremia, ART adherence, engagement in HIV care, and concurrent substance use. AIDS Behav. 2015;19:178-185.
- Ompad DC, Kingdon M, Kupprat S, Halkitis SN, Storholm ED, Halkitis PN. Smoking and HIV-related health issues among older HIV-positive gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men. Behav Med. 2014;40:99-107.
- Feldman JG, Minkoff H, Schneider MF, et al. Association of cigarette smoking with HIV prognosis among women in the HAART era: a report from the Women's Interagency HIV Study. Am J Public Health. 2006;96:1060-1065.
- Shirley DK, Kaner RJ, Glesby MJ. Effects of smoking on non-AIDS-related morbidity in HIV-infected patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:275-282.
- Tamí-Maury I, Vidrine DJ, Fletcher FE, Danysh H, Arduino R, Gritz ER. Poly-tobacco use among HIV-positive smokers: implications for smoking cessation efforts. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013;15:2100-2106.
- Mdodo R, Frazier EL, Dube SR, et al. Cigarette smoking prevalence among adults with HIV compared with the general adult population in the United States. Ann Intern Med. 2015;162:335-344.
- Furber AS, Maheswaran R, Newell JN, Carroll C. Is smoking tobacco an independent risk factor for HIV infection and progression to AIDS? A systemic review. Sex Transm Infect. 2007;83:41-46.
- Marshall MM, McCormack MC, Kirk GD. Effect of cigarette smoking on HIV acquisition, progression, and mortality. AIDS Educ Prev. 2009;21(3 suppl):28-39.
- Earla R, Ande A, McArthur C, Kumar A, Kumar S. Enhanced nicotine metabolism in HIV-1-positive smokers compared with HIV-negative smokers: simultaneous determination of nicotine and its four metabolites in their plasma using a simple and sensitive electrospray ionization liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry technique. Drug Metab Dispos. 2014;42:282-293. Erratum in Drug Metab Dispos. 2014;42:1596-1598.
- Calvo M, Laguno M, Martínez M, Martínez E. Effects of tobacco smoking on HIV-infected individuals. AIDS Rev. 2015;17:47-55.
- Pal D, Kwatra D, Minocha M, Paturi DK, Budda B, Mitra AK. Efflux transporters- and cytochrome P-450-mediated interactions between drugs of abuse and antiretrovirals. Life Sci. 2011;88:959-971.
- Ande A, McArthur C, Kumar A, Kumar S. Tobacco smoking effect on HIV-1 pathogenesis: role of cytochrome P450 isozymes. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2013;9:1453-1464.
- Polito JR. Nicotine addiction 101. WhyQuit.com.
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy