Helping People With HIV Quit Smoking: What Works for Whom?
- The Health Consequences of Smoking -- 50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General. US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2014.
- Mdodo R, Frazier EL, Dube SR, et al. Cigarette smoking prevalence among adults with HIV compared with the general adult population in the United States. Ann Intern Med. 2015;162:335-344.
- Hessol NA, Weber KM, D'Souza G, et al. Smoking cessation and recidivism in the Women's Interagency Human Immunodeficiency Virus Study. Am J Prev Med. 2014;47:53-69.
- Schäfer J, Young J, Bernasconi E, et al. Predicting smoking cessation and its relapse in HIV-infected patients: the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. HIV Medicine. 2015;16:3-14.
- Shahrir S, Tindle HA, McGinnis KA, et al. Contemplation of smoking cessation and quit attempts in HIV-infected and uninfected veterans. Subst Abus. 2015 Jul 13:0. Epub ahead of print.
- Pacek LR, Latkin C, Crum RM, Stuart EA, Knowlton AR. Interest in quitting and lifetime quit attempts among smokers living with HIV infection. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014;138:220-224.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. US Department of Health and Human Services. Five major steps to intervention (the "5 A's"). December 2012.
- National Lung Screening Trial Research Team, Aberle DR, Adams AM, Berg CD, et al. Reduced lung-cancer mortality with low-dose computed tomographic screening. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:395-409.
- Park ER, Gareen IF, Japuntich S, et al. Primary care provider-delivered smoking cessation interventions and smoking cessation among participants in the National Lung Screening Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175:1509-1516.
- Crothers K, Goulet JL, Rodriguez-Barradas C, et al. Decreased awareness of current smoking among health care providers of HIV-positive compared to HIV-negative veterans. J Gen Intern Med. 2007;22:749-754.
- Jha P, Ramasundarahettige C, Landsman V, et al. 21st-century hazards of smoking and benefits of cessation in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2013;368:341-350.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Smoking and tobacco use. Health effects of cigarette smoking. 2014.
- Lifson AR, Neuhaus J, Arribas JR, et al. Smoking-related health risks among persons with HIV in the Strategies for Management of Antiretroviral Therapy Clinical Trial. Am J Public Health. 2010;100:1896-1903.
- Petoumenos K, Worm S, Reiss P, et al. Rates of cardiovascular disease following smoking cessation in patients with HIV infection: results from the D:A:D study. HIV Med. 2011;12:412-421.
- De P, Farley A, Lindson N, Aveyard P. Systematic review and meta-analysis: influence of smoking cessation on incidence of pneumonia in HIV. BMC Med. 2013;11:15.
- Gordin FM, Roediger MP, Girard PM, et al. Pneumonia in HIV-infected persons: increased risk with cigarette smoking and treatment interruption. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008;178:630-636.
- Bénard A, Mercié P, Alioum A, et al. Bacterial pneumonia among HIV-infected patients: decreased risk after tobacco smoking cessation. ANRS CO3 Aquitaine Cohort, 2000-2007. PLoS One. 2010;5:e8896.
- Calvo-Sánchez M, Martínez E. How to address smoking cessation in HIV patients. HIV Med. 2015;16:201-210.
- Shuter J, Salmo LN, Shuter AD, Nivasch EC, Fazzari M, Moadel AB. Provider beliefs and practices relating to tobacco use in patients living with HIV/AIDS: a national survey. AIDS Behav. 2012;16:288-294.
- Tornero C, Mafé C. Varenicline and antiretroviral therapy in patients with HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009;52:656.
- Cui Q, Robinson L, Elston D, et al. Safety and tolerability of varenicline tartrate (Champix/Chantix) for smoking cessation in HIV-infected subjects: a pilot open-label study. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2012;26:12-19.
- Mercié P, Roussillon C, Katlama C, et al. Varenicline vs placebo for smoking cessation: ANRS 144 Inter-ACTIV randomized trial. CROI 2015. February 23-26, 2015. Seattle, Washington. Abstract 139.
- CHANTIX (varenicline) tablets.
- Ferketich AK, Diaz P, Browning KK, et al. Safety of varenicline among smokers enrolled in the lung HIV study. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013;15:247-254.
- US National Library of Medicine. MedlinePlus. Bupropion.
- Shirley DK, Kaner RJ, Glesby MJ. Effects of smoking on non-AIDS-related morbidity in HIV-infected patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:275-282.
- Pedrol-Clotet E, Deig-Comerma E, Ribell-Bachs M, Vidal-Castell I, García-Rodríguez P, Soler A. Bupropion use for smoking cessation in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2006;24:509-511.
- Lloyd-Richardson EE, Stanton CA, Papandonatos GD, et al. Motivation and patch treatment for HIV+ smokers: a randomized controlled trial. Addiction. 2009;104:1891-1900.
- Humfleet GL, Hall SM, Delucchi KL, Dilley JW. A randomized clinical trial of smoking cessation treatments provided in HIV clinical care settings. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013;15:1436-1445.
- Martín Cantera C, Puigdomènech E, Ballvé JL, et al. Effectiveness of multicomponent interventions in primary healthcare settings to promote continuous smoking cessation in adults: a systematic review. BMJ Open. 2015;5:e008807.
- Fuster M, Estrada V, Fernandez-Pinilla MC, et al. Smoking cessation in HIV patients: rate of success and associated factors. HIV Medicine. 2009;10:614-619.
- Cropsey KL, Jardin BF, Burkholder GA, Clark CB, Raper JL, Saag MS. An algorithm approach to determining smoking cessation treatment for persons living with HIV/AIDS: results of a pilot trial. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015;69:291-298.
- Garrison GD, Dugan SE. Varenicline: a first-line treatment option for smoking cessation. Clin Ther. 2009;31:463-491.
- Chantix prescribing information.
- Bullen C, Howe C, Laugesen M, et al. Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2013;382:1629-1637.
- Farsalinos KE, Romagna G, Tsiapras D, Kyrzopoulos S, Voudris V. Evaluating nicotine levels selection and patterns of electronic cigarette use in a group of "vapers" who had achieved complete substitution of smoking. Subst Abuse. 2013;7:139-146.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. DrugFacts: Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes). August 2015.
- US Food and Drug Administration. E-cigarettes: questions and answers. August 30, 2015.
- Shuter J, Morales DA, Considine-Dunn SE, An LC, Stanton CA. Feasibility and preliminary efficacy of a web-based smoking cessation intervention for HIV-infected smokers: a randomized controlled trial. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014;67:59-66.
- Gritz ER, Danysh HE, Fletcher FE, et al. Long-term outcomes of a cell phone-delivered intervention for smokers living with HIV/AIDS. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:608-615.
- Huber M, Ledergerber B, Sauter R, et al. Outcome of smoking cessation counselling of HIV-positive persons by HIV care physicians. HIV Medicine. 2012;13:387-397.
- Bruno Ledergerber. University of Zurich. Email November 13, 2015.
- Chew D, Steinberg MB, Thomas P, Swaminathan S, Hodder SL. Evaluation of a smoking cessation program for HIV infected individuals in an urban HIV clinic: challenges and lessons learned. AIDS Res Treat. 2014;2014:237834.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy