Although these studies generated interest at EACS, many people reserved caution about the results.
These were all single arm pilot studies in small groups of people with short periods of follow-up.
They all concluded that results need to be confirmed in larger studies where follow up is just as close and where results are compared to using standard three drug treatment. The new studies will need to look into how effectively mono and dual therapy works in different body sits -- not just based on results from blood tests.
Nevertheless, for people struggling on current ART, the results offer great hope if the early promise is sustained.
For wider global access it is also significant that manufacturers ViiV Healthcare agreed to dolutegravir being available for generic manufacturers as part of the Patent Pool.13
Unless stated otherwise, all references are the the programme and abstracts of the 15th European AIDS Conference (EACS), 21-24 October 2015, Barcelona, Spain.
- Oral abstract session. Antiretroviral Therapy I. PS1. 22 October 2015, 14:00 - 16:00, 15th EACS, Barcelona2015.
- Figueroa MI et al. Dolutegravir-lamivudine as initial therapy in HIV-infected, ARV naive patients: first results of the PADDLE trial. 15th EACS, Barcelona 2015. Oral abstract LPBS 4/1.
- Reynes J et al. Dual therapy with dolutegravir and lamivudine maintains virologic suppression in HIV-infectedHAART-treated patients: DOLULAM pilot study. 15th EACS, Barcelona 2015. Poster abstract PE 8/81.
- Gubavu C et al. Simplification for dolutegravir as a mono- or bitherapy maintains high proportion of viral suppression even in highly-experienced HIV-1-infected patients. 15th EACS, Barcelona 2015. Poster abstractPE 8/37.
- Rojas J et al. Dolutegravir monotherapy in HIV-infected patients with sustained viral suppression: A 24-weekPilot Study. 15th EACS, Barcelona 2015. Oral abstract LPBS 4/2.
- Katlama C et al. Dolutegravir monotherapy in HIV-infected patients with suppressed HIV viremia. 15th EACS,Barcelona 2015. Oral abstract PS 4/4.
- Rokx et al. 1st HIV forum: integrase inhibitors, 20 October 2015, Barcelona. Personal communication. Fullreference to follow.
- See: Maintenance Therapy with Less than Three Drugs Doesn't Work. DrFax 40 (16th February 1998).
- Collins S. Kaletra monotherapy: small studies and early data. HTB September 2004.
- Paton N et al. Randomised controlled trial of a PI monotherapy switch strategy forlong-term HIV management. 21st CROI, 2014, Boston. Late breaker poster abstract 550LB. See HTB March 2014.
- Wainberg M et al.What if a new HIV integrase inhibitor was not prone to the problem of drug resistance?15th EACS, 21-24 October 2015, Barcelona. Poster abstract PE9/8.
- Demarest J et al. Integrated analysis of emergent drug resistance through 96 & 144 weeks from clinical studies of HIV-1 treatment-naive subjects receiving dolutegravir based regimens. 15th EACS, Barcelona 2015. Poster abstract PE 9/21.
- Clayden P. Medicines Patent Pool adds dolutegravir. HTB South, June 2014.