Clinical Insights on HIV-Related Bone Disease Risk, Screening and Care
Featuring Michael T. Yin, M.D., M.S.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking -- 50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2014.
- Brown TT, Hoy J, Borderi M, et al. Recommendations for evaluation and management of bone disease in HIV. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:1242-1251.
- The FRAX calculator is online at www.shef.ac.uk/FRAX (click Calculation Tool tab, click appropriate region, then click country). Variables that should be indicated are age, sex, race, geographic region, weight, height, previous fracture, parental hip fracture, current smoking, glucocorticoid use, rheumatoid arthritis, secondary cause of osteoporosis, and alcohol use.
- EACS European AIDS Clinical Society. Guidelines. Version 7.1. November 2014.
- Yin MT, Skanderson M, Shiau S, et al. Fracture prediction with modified FRAX in older HIV+ and HIV- men. CROI 2015. February 23-26, 2015. Seattle, Washington. Abstract 141.
- Yin MT, Lund E, Shah J, et al. Lower peak bone mass and abnormal trabecular and cortical microarchitecture in young men infected with HIV early in life. AIDS. 2014;28:345-353.
- Unnanuntana A, Saleh A, Mensah KA, Kleimeyer JP, Lane JM. Atypical femoral fractures: what do we know about them? J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013;95(2):e8.
- Wheeler AL, Tien PC, Grunfeld C, Schafer AL. Teriparatide treatment of osteoporosis in an HIV-infected man: a case report and literature review. AIDS. 2015;29:245-246.
- Dempster DW, Lambing CL, Kostenuik PJ, Grauer A. Role of RANK ligand and denosumab, a targeted RANK ligand inhibitor, in bone health and osteoporosis: a review of preclinical and clinical data. Clin Ther. 2012;34:521-536.
- Sax PE, Wohl D, Yin MT, et al. Tenofovir alafenamide versus tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, coformulated with elvitegravir, cobicistat, and emtricitabine, for initial treatment of HIV-1 infection: two randomised, double-blind, phase 3, non-inferiority trials. Lancet. Published Online 16 April 2015.
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Switch study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir alafenamide (FTC/RPV/TAF) fixed dose combination (FDC) in HIV-1 positive adults who are virologically suppressed on emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (FTC/RPV/TDF). ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT02345252.
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Study to evaluate switching from a regimen consisting of efavirenz/emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (EFV/FTC/TDF) fixed dose combination (FDC) to emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir alafenamide (FTC/RPV/TAF) FDC in virologically-suppressed, HIV-1 infected adults. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT02345226.
- Overton ET, Chan ES, Brown TT, et al. High-dose vitamin D and calcium attenuates bone loss with antiretroviral therapy initiation: a prospective, randomized placebo-controlled trial for bone health in HIV-infected individuals. Ann Intern Med. 2015;162:815-824.
- O'Neill TJ, Rivera L, Struchkov V, Zaheen A, Thein HH. The effect of HIV-hepatitis C co-infection on bone mineral density and fracture: a meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2014;9:e101493.
- Dong HV, Cortés YI, Shiau S, Yin MT. Osteoporosis and fractures in HIV/hepatitis C virus coinfection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS. 2014;28:2119-1131.
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy