Bone Fracture Facts: Prevalence and Incidence Higher With HIV
- Schwartz O, Pindborg JJ, Svenningsen A. Tooth exfoliation and necrosis of the alveolar bone following trigeminal herpes zoster in HIV-infected patient. Tandlaegebladet. 1989;93:623-627.
- Goorney BP, Lacey H, Thurairajasingam S, Brown JD. Avascular necrosis of the hip in a man with HIV infection. Genitourin Med. 1990;66:451-452.
- Chevalier X, Larget-Piet B, Hernigou P, Gherardi R. Avascular necrosis of the femoral head in HIV-infected patients. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993;75:160.
- Hernández Quero J, Ortego Centeno N, Muñoz-Torres M, Martinez Pérez MA, Higuera Torres-Puchol JM.. Alterations in bone turnover in HIV-positive patients. Infection. 1993;21:220-222.
- Guaraldi G, Ventura P, Albuzza M, et al. Pathological fractures in AIDS patients with osteopenia and osteoporosis induced by antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2001;15:137-138.
- Shiau S, Broun EC, Arpadi SM, Yin MT. Incident fractures in HIV-infected individuals: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS. 2013;27:1949-1957.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Position statement. Recommendations for enhancing the care of patients with fragility fractures. Revised December 2009.
- Prior J, Burdge D, Maan E, et al. Fragility fractures and bone mineral density in HIV positive women: a case-control population-based study. Osteoporos Int. 2007;18:1345-1353.
- Triant VA, Brown TT, Lee H, Grinspoon SK. Fracture prevalence among human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected versus non-HIV-infected patients in a large U.S. healthcare system. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93:3499-3504.
- Torti C, Mazziotti G, Soldini PA, et al. High prevalence of radiological vertebral fractures in HIV-infected males. Endocrine. 2012;41:512-517.
- Guaraldi G, Orlando G, Zona S, et al. Premature age-related comorbidities among HIV-infected persons compared with the general population. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;53:1120-1126.
- Peters BS, Perry M, Wierzbicki AS, et al. A cross-sectional randomised study of fracture risk in people with HIV infection in the Probono 1 study. PLoS One. 2013;8:e78048.
- Siberry GK, Li H, Jacobson D; Pediatric AIDS Clinical Trials Group (PACTG) 219/219C Study. Fracture risk by HIV infection status in perinatally HIV-exposed children. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2012;28:247-250.
- Arnsten JH, Freeman R, Howard AA, Floris-Moore M, Lo Y, Klein RS. Decreased bone mineral density and increased fracture risk in aging men with or at risk for HIV infection. AIDS. 2007;21:617-623.
- Yin MT, Shi Q, Hoover DR, et al. Fracture incidence in HIV-infected women: results from the Women's Interagency HIV Study. AIDS. 2010;24:2679-2686.
- Lo Re V 3rd, Volk J, Newcomb CW, et al. Risk of hip fracture associated with hepatitis C virus infection and hepatitis C/human immunodeficiency virus coinfection. Hepatology. 2012;56:1688-1698.
- Womack JA, Goulet JL, Gibert C, et al. Increased risk of fragility fractures among HIV infected compared to uninfected male veterans. PLoS One. 2011;6:e17217.
- Young B, Dao CN, Buchacz K, et al. Increased rates of bone fracture among HIV-infected persons in the HIV Outpatient Study (HOPS) compared with the U.S. general population, 2000-2006. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:1061-1068.
- Güerri-Fernandez R, Vestergaard P, Carbonell C, et al. HIV infection is strongly associated with hip fracture risk, independently of age, gender, and comorbidities: a population-based cohort study. J Bone Miner Res. 2013;28:1259-1263.
- Hansen AB, Gerstoft J, Kronborg G, et al. Incidence of low and high-energy fractures in persons with and without HIV infection: a Danish population-based cohort study. AIDS. 2012;26:285-293.
- Prieto-Alhambra D, Güerri-Fernández R, De Vries F, et al. HIV infection and its association with an excess risk of clinical fractures: a nationwide case-control study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014;66:90-95.
- Byrne DD, Newcomb CW, Carbonari DM, et al. Increased risk of hip fracture associated with dually treated HIV/hepatitis B virus coinfection. J Viral Hepat. 2015 Mar 6. doi 10.1111/jvh.12398. Epub ahead of print.
- Cauley JA, Hochberg MC, Lui LY, et al. Long-term risk of incident vertebral fractures. JAMA. 2007;298:2761-2767.
- Brown TT, Hoy J, Borderi M, et al. Recommendations for evaluation and management of bone disease in HIV. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:1242-1251.
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy