Do Plentiful Diabetes Risk Factors Include HIV?
June 19, 2015
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration. Guide for HIV/AIDS clinical care. April 2014.
- Hadigan C, Kattakuzhy S. Diabetes mellitus type 2 and abnormal glucose metabolism in the setting of human immunodeficiency virus. Endocrinol Metab Clin N Am. 2014;43:685-696.
- Worm SW, De Wit S, Weber R, et al. Diabetes mellitus, preexisting coronary heart disease, and the risk of subsequent coronary heart disease events in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus: the Data Collection on Adverse Events of Anti-HIV Drugs (D:A:D Study). Circulation. 2009;119:805-811.
- Valcour VG, Shikuma CM, Shiramizu BT, et al. Diabetes, insulin resistance, and dementia among HIV-1-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005;38:31-36.
- Valcour VG, Sacktor NC, Paul RH, et al. Insulin resistance is associated with cognition among HIV-1-infected patients: the Hawaii Aging With HIV cohort. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006;43:405-410.
- McCutchan JA, Marquie-Beck JA, Fitzsimons CA, et al. Role of obesity, metabolic variables, and diabetes in HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder. Neurology. 2012;78:485-492.
- Dray-Spira R, Legeai C, Le Den M, et al. Burden of HIV disease and comorbidities on the chances of maintaining employment in the era of sustained combined antiretroviral therapies use. AIDS. 2012;26:207-215.
- Thompson-Paul A, Wei S, Mattson C, Skarbinski J. Prevalence of obesity in a nationally representative sample of HIV+ adults receiving medical care in the U.S.: Medical Monitoring Project, 2009. 20th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. March 3-6, 2013. Atlanta. Abstract 777.
- Petoumenos K, Worm SW, Fontas E, et al. Predicting the short-term risk of diabetes in HIV-positive patients: the Data Collection on Adverse Events of Anti-HIV Drugs (D:A:D) study. J Int AIDS Soc. 2012;15:17426.
- Galli L, Salpietro S, Pellicciotta G, et al. Risk of type 2 diabetes among HIV-infected and healthy subjects in Italy. Eur J Epidemiol. 2012;27:657-665.
- Grunfeld C, Rimland D, Gibert CL, et al. Association of upper trunk and visceral adipose tissue volume with insulin resistance in control and HIV-infected subjects in the FRAM study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2007;46:283-290.
- Freitas P, Carvalho D, Santos AC, et al. Lipodystrophy defined by fat mass ratio in HIV-infected patients is associated with a high prevalence of glucose disturbances and insulin resistance. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:180.
- Hessol NA, Ameli N, Cohen MH, et al. The association between diet and physical activity on insulin resistance in the Women's Interagency HIV Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013;62:74-80.
- Tsiodras S, Poulia KA, Yannakoulia M, et al. Adherence to Mediterranean diet is favorably associated with metabolic parameters in HIV-positive patients with the highly active antiretroviral therapy-induced metabolic syndrome and lipodystrophy. Metabolism. 2009;58:854-859.
- Samaras K, Wand H, Law M, Emery S, Cooper DA, Carr A. Dietary intake in HIV-infected men with lipodystrophy: relationships with body composition, visceral fat, lipid, glucose and adipokine metabolism. Curr HIV Res. 2009;7:454-461.
- Brown TT, Tassiopoulos K, Bosch RJ, Shikuma C, McComsey GA. Association between systemic inflammation and incident diabetes in HIV-infected patients after initiation of antiretroviral therapy. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2244-2249.
- Béténé A, Dooko C, De Wit S, et al. Interleukin-6, high sensitivity C-reactive protein, and the development of type 2 diabetes among HIV-positive patients taking antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014;67:538-546.
- Boufassa F, Goujard C, Viard JP, et al. Immune deficiency could be an early risk factor for altered insulin sensitivity in antiretroviral-naive HIV-1-infected patients: the ANRS COPANA cohort. Antivir Ther. 2012;17:91-100.
- Rasmussen LD, Mathiesen ER, Kronborg G, Pedersen C, Gerstoft J, Obel N. Risk of diabetes mellitus in persons with and without HIV: a Danish nationwide population-based cohort study. PLoS One. 2012;7:e44575.
- Tien PC, Schneider MF, Cole SR, et al. Antiretroviral therapy exposure and incidence of diabetes mellitus in the Women's Interagency HIV Study. AIDS. 2007;21:1739-1745.
- Tripathi A, Liese AD, Jerrell JM, et al. Incidence of diabetes mellitus in a population-based cohort of HIV-infected and non-HIV-infected persons: the impact of clinical and therapeutic factors over time. Diabet Med. 2014;31:1185-1193.
- Polsky S, Floris-Moore M, Schoenbaum EE, Klein RS, Arnsten JH, Howard AA. Incident hyperglycaemia among older adults with or at-risk for HIV infection. Antivir Ther. 2011;16:181-188.
- Butt AA, McGinnis K, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, et al. HIV infection and the risk of diabetes mellitus. AIDS. 2009;23:1227-1234.
- De Wit S, Sabin CA, Weber R, et al. Incidence and risk factors for new-onset diabetes in HIV-infected patients: the Data Collection on Adverse Events of Anti-HIV Drugs (D:A:D) study. Diabetes Care. 2008;31:1224-1229.
- Yoon C, Gulick RM, Hoover DR, Vaamonde CM, Glesby MJ. Case-control study of diabetes mellitus in HIV-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;37:1464-1469.
- Ledergerber B, Furrer H, Rickenbach M, et al. Factors associated with the incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in HIV-infected participants in the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45:111-119.
- Aberg JA, Gallant JE, Ghanem KG, et al. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with HIV: 2013 update by the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;58:1-10.
- Dubé MP, Shen C, Greenwald M, Mather KJ. No impairment of endothelial function or insulin sensitivity with 4 weeks of the HIV protease inhibitors atazanavir or lopinavir-ritonavir in healthy subjects without HIV infection: a placebo-controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;47:567-574.
- Aberg JA, Tebas P, Overton ET, et al. Metabolic effects of darunavir/ritonavir versus atazanavir/ritonavir in treatment-naive, HIV type 1-infected subjects over 48 weeks. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2012;28:1184-1195.
- Monroe AK, Glesby MJ, Brown TT. Diagnosing and managing diabetes in HIV-infected patients: current concepts. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:453-462.
- Erlandson KM, Kitch D, Tierney C, et al. Impact of randomized antiretroviral therapy initiation on glucose metabolism. AIDS. 2014;28:1451-1461.
- Dave JA, Lambert EV, Badri M, et al. Effect of nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor-based antiretroviral therapy on dysglycemia and insulin sensitivity in South African HIV-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;57:284-289.
- Randell PA, Jackson AG, Zhong L, Yale K, Moyle GJ. The effect of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate on whole-body insulin sensitivity, lipids and adipokines in healthy volunteers. Antivir Ther. 2010;15:227-233.
- Howard AA, Hoover DR, Anastos K, et al. The effects of opiate use and hepatitis C virus infection on risk of diabetes mellitus in the Women's Interagency HIV Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010;54:152-159.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV and viral hepatitis.
- DallaPiazza M, Amorosa VK, Localio R, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for significant liver fibrosis among HIV-monoinfected patients. BMC Infect Dis. 2010;10:116.
- White DL, Ratziu V, El-Serag HB. Hepatitis C infection and risk of diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Hepatol. 2008;49:831-844.
- Visnegarwala F, Chen L, Raghavan S, et al. Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and dyslipidemia among antiretroviral naive patients co-infected with hepatitis C virus (HCV) and HIV-1 compared to patients without coinfection. J Infect. 2005;50:331-337.
- Mehta SH, Moore RD, Thomas DL, et al. The effect of HAART and HCV infection on the development of hyperglycemia among HIV-infected persons. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2003;33:577-584.
- Jain MK, Aragaki C, Fischbach L, et al. Hepatitis C is associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus in HIV-infected persons without traditional risk factors. HIV Med. 2007;8:491-497.
- Pinnetti C, Floridia M, Cingolani A, et al. Effect of HCV infection on glucose metabolism in pregnant women with HIV receiving HAART. HIV Clin Trials. 2009;10:403-412.
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy