Health Navigation: A Review of the Evidence
- Whop LJ, Valery PC, Beesley VL, et al. Navigating the cancer journey: A review of patient navigator programs for Indigenous cancer patients: Navigating the Indigenous cancer journey. Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2012 Dec;8(4):e89-e96.
- Battaglia TA, Burhansstipanov L, Murrell SS, et al, on behalf of The Prevention and Early Detection Workgroup from the National Patient Navigation Leadership Summit. Assessing the impact of patient navigation: Prevention and early detection metrics. Cancer. 2011 Aug 1;117(S15):3551-62.
- Weber JJ, Mascarenhas DC, Bellin LS, et al. Patient Navigation and the Quality of Breast Cancer Care: An Analysis of the Breast Cancer Care Quality Indicators. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2012 Oct;19(10):3251-6.
- Freeman HP. Patient Navigation: A Community Based Strategy to Reduce Cancer Disparities. Journal of Urban Health. 2006 Mar 3;83(2):139-41.
- Robinson-White S, Conroy B, Slavish KH, Rosenzweig M. Patient navigation in breast cancer: a systematic review. Cancer Nursing. 2010;33(2):127-40.
- Gardner EM, McLees MP, Steiner JF, et al. The Spectrum of Engagement in HIV Care and its Relevance to Test-and-Treat Strategies for Prevention of HIV Infection. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2011 Mar 1;52(6):793-800.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital Signs: HIV Prevention Through Care and Treatment--United States. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2011.
- Krentz HB, MacDonald J, John Gill M. High Mortality Among Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)-Infected Individuals Before Accessing or Linking to HIV Care: A Missing Outcome in the Cascade of Care? Open Forum Infectious Diseases. 2014 May 8;1(1):ofu011-ofu011.
- Nosyk B, Montaner JSG, Colley G, et al. The cascade of HIV care in British Columbia, Canada, 1996-2011: a population-based retrospective cohort study. The Lancet Infectious Diseases. 2014 Jan;14(1):40-9.
- Percac-Lima S, Grant RW, Green AR, et al. A Culturally Tailored Navigator Program for Colorectal Cancer Screening in a Community Health Center: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2009 Feb;24(2):211-7.
- Basu M, Linebarger J, Gabram SGA, et al. The effect of nurse navigation on timeliness of breast cancer care at an academic comprehensive cancer center: Nurse Navigation and Timeliness of Care. Cancer. 2013 Jul 15;119(14):2524-31.
- Cantril C, Haylock PJ. Patient Navigation in the Oncology Care Setting. Seminars in Oncology Nursing. 2013 May;29(2):76-90.
- Koh C, Nelson JM, Cook PF. Evaluation of a Patient Navigation Program. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2010;15(1):41-8.
- Domingo JB, Davis EL, Allison AL, Braun KL. Cancer Patient Navigation Case Studies in Hawai 'i: The Complimentary Role of Clinical and Community Navigators. Hawaii Medical Journal. 2011;70(12):257.
- Paskett ED, Harrop JP, Wells KJ. Patient navigation: An update on the state of the science. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2011 Jul;61(4):237-49.
- Cancer. 2008 Oct 15;113(8):1999-2010.[/fn>, Rajabiun S, Coleman S, Drainoni M-L. Keeping At-Risk Persons Living with HIV/AIDS in Care: A Qualitative Study of Staff Perspectives. Journal of HIV/AIDS & Social Services. 2011 Apr;10(2):120-38.
- [Note: This reference was blank in the original.]
- Dohan D, Schrag D. Using navigators to improve care of underserved patients: Current practices and approaches. Cancer. 2005 Aug 15;104(4):848-55.
- Eschiti V, Burhansstipanov L, Watanabe-Galloway S. Native Cancer Navigation: The State of the Science. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2012 Feb 1;16(1):73-82.
- Public Health Agency of Canada. Population-specific HIV/AIDS status report: fact sheet, Aboriginal peoples. [Ottawa]: Public Health Agency of Canada; 2010.
- Centre for Communicable Diseases and Infection Control (Canada). M-Track, enhanced surveillance of HIV, sexually transmitted and blood-borne infections, and associated risk behaviours among men who have sex with men in Canada phase 1 report. [Internet]. [Ottawa]: Centre for Communicable Diseases; 2011 [cited 2014 Jun 3]. Available from: http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/201/301/weekly_checklist/2012/internet/w12-16-U-E.html/collections/collection_2012/aspc-phac/HP40-64-1-2011-eng.pdf
- Public Health Agency of Canada. Population-specific HIV/AIDS Status Report --Fact Sheet. People from Countries where HIV is Endemic--Black People of African and Caribbean Descent Living in Canada [Internet]. Public Health Agency of Canada; 2008 [cited 2014 Jun 3]. Available from: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/aids-sida/publication/ps-pd/pdf/factsheet-info-eng.pdf
- Public Health Agency of Canada. HIV/AIDS Among People who Inject Drugs in Canada [Internet]. Public Health Agency of Canada; 2010 [cited 2014 Jun 3]. Available from: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/aids-sida/publication/epi/2010/pdf/EN_Chapter10_Web.pdf
- Public Health Agency of Canada. Summary: Estimates of HIV Prevalence and Incidence in Canada, 2011. Ottawa: Public Health Agency of Canada; 2012 p. 9.
- Marks G, Crepaz N, Senterfitt JW, Janssen RS. Meta-analysis of high-risk sexual behavior in persons aware and unaware they are infected with HIV in the United States: implications for HIV prevention programs. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2005;39(4):446-53.
- Percac-Lima S, Milosavljevic B, Marable D, Bond B. Patient navigation to improve breast cancer screening in Bosnian refugees and immigrants. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2012 Aug;14(4):727-30.
- Hunnibell LS, Rose MG, Connery DM, et al. Using Nurse Navigation to Improve Timeliness of Lung Cancer Care at a Veterans Hospital. Oncology Nursing Society. 2012 Feb;16(1):29-36.
- Miller WC, Rosenberg NE, Rutstein SE, Powers KA. Role of acute and early HIV infection in the sexual transmission of HIV. Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS. 2010 Jul;5(4):277-82.
- Wawer MJ, Gray RH, Sewankambo NK, et al. Rates of HIV-1 transmission per coital act, by stage of HIV-1 infection, in Rakai, Uganda. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2005;191(9):1403-9.
- Hollingsworth TD, Anderson RM, Fraser C. HIV-1 Transmission, by Stage of Infection. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2008 Sep;198(5):687-93.
- British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS. Primary Care Guidelines for the Management of HIV/AIDS in British Columbia [Internet]. British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS; 2011 [cited 2014 May 28]. Available from: http://www.cfenet.ubc.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/HIV_PRIMARY_CARE_GUIDELINES_2011.pdf
- Bradford JB, Coleman S, Cunningham W. HIV System Navigation: An Emerging Model to Improve HIV Care Access. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 2007 Jun;21(s1):S-49-S-58.
- Farrisi D, Dietz N. Patient navigation is a client-centered approach that helps to engage people in HIV care. HIV Clinician. 2013;25(1):1-3.
- Van Walleghem N, MacDonald CA, Dean HJ. Evaluation of a Systems Navigator Model for Transition From Pediatric to Adult Care for Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2008 Aug 1;31(8):1529-30.
- Seek AJ, Hogle WP. Modeling a Better Way: Navigating the Healthcare System for Patients with Lung Cancer. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2006;11(1):81-5.
- Willis S, Castel AD, Ahmed T, et al. Linkage, Engagement, and Viral Suppression Rates Among HIV-Infected Persons Receiving Care at Medical Case Management Programs in Washington D.C. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2013 Nov;64(Supplement 1):S33-S41.
- Nunn A, Cornwall A, Fu J, et al. Linking HIV-positive Jail Inmates to Treatment, Care, and Social Services After Release: Results from a Qualitative Assessment of the COMPASS Program. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine. 2010;87(6):954-68.
- Zaller ND, Holmes L, Dyl AC, et al. Linkage to Treatment and Supportive Services Among HIV-Positive Ex-Offenders in Project Bridge. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2008 May;19(2):522-31.
- Samji H, Cescon A, Hogg RS, et al. Closing the Gap: Increases in Life Expectancy among Treated HIV-Positive Individuals in the United States and Canada. Okulicz JF, editor. PLoS ONE. 2013 Dec 18;8(12):e81355.
- Cohen M, Chen YQ, Macauley M, et al. Prevention of HIV-1 Infection with Early Antiretroviral Therapy. New England Journal of Medicine. 365(6):493-505.
- Department of Health and Human Services. Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in HIV-1-Infected Adults and Adolescents [Internet]. Department of Health and Human Services; 2014 [cited 2014 May 28]. Available from: http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/lvguidelines/adultandadolescentgl.pdf
- Ferrante JM, Chen P-H, Kim S. The Effect of Patient Navigation on Time to Diagnosis, Anxiety, and Satisfaction in Urban Minority Women with Abnormal Mammograms: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Urban Health. 2008 Jan;85(1):114-24.
- Guadagnolo BA, Cina K, Koop D, et al. A Pre-post Survey Analysis of Satisfaction with Health Care and Medical Mistrust after Patient Navigation for American Indian Cancer Patients. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2011;22(4):1331-43.
- Ell K, Vourlekis B, Muderspach L, et al. Abnormal cervical screen follow-up among low-income Latinas: Project SAFe. Journal of Women's Health and Gender Based Medicine. 2002 Sep;11(7):639-51.
- Bowman SC, Grim RD. The Efficacy of the Nurse Navigator in a Community Hospital Breast Care Program. Seminars in Breast Disease. 2008 Mar;11(1):26-30.
- Lee T, Ko I, Lee I, et al. Effects of Nurse Navigators on Health Outcomes of Cancer Patients. Cancer Nursing. 2011 Sep;34(5):376-84.
- Giese-Davis J, Bliss-Isberg C, Carson K, et al. The effect of peer counseling on quality of life following diagnosis of breast cancer: an observational study. Psycho-Oncology. 2006 Nov;15(11):1014-22.
- Swanson J, Koch L. The role of the oncology nurse navigator in distress management of adult inpatients with cancer: a retrospective study. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2010 Jan;37(1):69-76.
- Fillion L, de Serres M, Cook S, et al. Professional Patient Navigation in Head and Neck Cancer. Seminars in Oncology Nursing. 2009 Aug;25(3):212-21.
- Goodwin JS, Satish S, Anderson ET, et al. Effect of nurse case management on the treatment of older women with breast cancer. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2003;51(9):1252-9.
No comments have been made.
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy