TheBodyPRO.com covers CROI 2014

What Will HIV Treatment Look Like in 5 Years?

March 21, 2014

1/8

What Will HIV Treatment Look Like in Five Years?y?

HIV antiretroviral therapy first arrived on the scene almost 30 years ago and changed HIV from being a fatal virus into a chronic, manageable disease. Since then, the medications have become more effective, simplified and tolerable. However, adherence and side effects still remain an issue. Today, there's buzz and research surrounding longer-acting regimens, less frequent doses and even possible cure strategies.

We asked some of the leading experts and advocates in HIV care what they think HIV treatment will look like in five years. These interviews were conducted at the 21st Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Boston earlier this month.

Reporting for this slide show was provided by Terri Wilder and Myles Helfand.

get started

This article was provided by TheBodyPRO.com. It is a part of the publication The 21st Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2014).

Comment by: David (San Diego, CA) Wed., May. 14, 2014 at 9:59 am EDT
I'm surprised that they made no mention of some of the international breakthrough's that i've read about and how they are progressing and what take-aways the scientific community are using towards new treatments. The Berlin Patient, the Denmark study, bee venom totally destroying the outershell of the virus plus new medications coming down the pipeline, etc... I do disagree with the comment that in 5 years things will be the same, but cost double as prices for HIV medications are already dropping.

Comment by: Mommy of 4 (Florida) Tue., May. 13, 2014 at 5:03 pm EDT
WTF did I just read ? . Why even bother they said nothing
I feel like I'm giving up hope. I do wish and pray they come up with something soon :( sigh

Comment by: Anonymous Thu., May. 8, 2014 at 9:01 am EDT
What a complete waste of my time as a newly (1 year ago) infected person! This is sad actually.

Comment by: Brian L (Philadelphia) Wed., May. 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm EDT
awh. I was hoping to get uploaded to a new robot body. Very disappointing.

Comment by: Paul (Buffalo, NY) Sun., Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:17 pm EDT
What a non story....I've been incredibly lucky having been on atripla for 6 years with great results and no side effects...looks like in 5 years I'll still be on atripla

Comment by: mical p (toronto) Wed., Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:31 am EDT
Yes for how ever long this site has been going or from round 2000 - THE TURN OF THE CENTRY- when i got my first computer & AIDS it's been the same old sad story -seems like all guess work. I subscribe to The Body emails but for the last 5 years delete 99% of them before reading- I've read basically the samethings over & over for years and years about what I now realize about too much false hope being spread without result - we seem to be no closer to any cure and in fact thoes of us infected will never be cured for if there is any vaccine it will only prevent future infections -which is good. For those of us already infected - no hope but maybe better pills -this is at least something. Accept this reality as I have and you can at least get on with a decent life without the false hype of a cure around the corner. I hope someone proves me wrong but I'm not at all hopeful.

Comment by: Mike (Montreal, QC) Wed., Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:42 pm EDT
HIV treatment will look exactly how it does today except double the cost. End of story, if there was ever one to begin with.

Comment by: being human (maryland) Wed., Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:45 am EDT
How many words can a writer put on a piece of paper before they realize they are saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Comment by: Michael J (Palm Springs Ca.) Tue., Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:36 pm EDT
Wow, most of all these people said absolutely nothing new with no details to go along with it! How depressing, why did you bother???

Please note: Knowledge about HIV changes rapidly. Note the date of this summary's publication, and before treating patients or employing any therapies described in these materials, verify all information independently. If you are a patient, please consult a doctor or other medical professional before acting on any of the information presented in this summary. For a complete listing of our most recent conference coverage, click here.