Answering Patients' Frequently Asked Hepatitis C Questions
February 6, 2014
Hepatitis C (HCV) infection can be a confusing disease for patients without proper guidance from their care providers. Due to the complex nature of the virus, its effects on the body and our rapidly evolving treatment options, it can also be difficult for providers to answer questions in a way that resonates with their patients.
Fortunately, at TheBody.com -- TheBodyPRO.com's sister site for the general community -- answering patient questions is what we do. Whether they are concerned about transmission or want to know about managing and treating the disease, our resident hepatitis expert, Lynn E. Taylor, M.D., F.A.C.P., A.A.H.I.V.S., an assistant professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Brown University and attending physician at the Miriam Hospital in Providence, R.I., is there to fill in the gaps.
Here are a collection of answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we see about HCV on TheBody.com. These Q&As provide the necessary context and information to help create a better-informed patient.
- Is hepatitis C treatment worth dealing with side effects?
- Is there a cure for hepatitis C?
- Does hepatitis C treatment work for people coinfected with HIV and hepatitis C?
- Why does Sovaldi (sofosbuvir) cost $84,000 and will the price drop?
- Will hepatitis C treatment affect female fertility?
- Do I need a liver biopsy before starting hepatitis C treatment?
- How long does it take to be cured of hepatitis C?
- What are the different types and stages of hepatitis C?
- How can I take care of my liver when living with HIV and hepatitis C?
- Does smoking marijuana affect liver health or hepatitis C disease progression?
- What are the different phases of hepatitis C clinical trials?
- If I'm cured of hepatitis C, will it come back?
- Do HIV drugs increase the risk of hepatitis C transmission? Is a vaccine available?
- How long does it take for hepatitis C symptoms to show up?
- Can pregnant women living with hepatitis C prevent transmission to their baby?
- Are we closer to a hepatitis C vaccine?
- Can I have children while living with hepatitis C?
Copyright © 2014 Remedy Health Media, LLC. All rights reserved.
- Is there a urine test for hepatitis C?
- Can I test positive for hepatitis C but have no viral load?
- My blood sample was reactive for hepatitis C antibodies; what does this mean?
- If I get tested for HIV, should I also get tested for hepatitis C?