Spotlight Series on Hepatitis C

2014 HIV/Hepatitis C Coinfection Update

February 7, 2014

9/13

Protease Inhibitors Make a First Splash

Protease Inhibitors Make a First Splash

The first wave of new HCV drugs arrived in the form of two protease inhibitors, boceprevir (Victrelis) and telaprevir (Incivek), which were approved in the U.S. in 2011 for the treatment of HCV genotype 1. They have not yet been approved specifically for HIV-coinfected patients, however -- and Cox suggested that their day in the sun may be setting.

In clinical trials, boceprevir and telaprevir have both been shown to dramatically increase HCV treatment success rates in therapy-naive, HIV-coinfected patients. But they still must be taken with interferon, and both drugs have been found to exacerbate the adverse effects seen among patients taking interferon-based therapies. Between those sobering data and extensive drug-interaction concerns with HIV medications, "it's not easy to take these medications," Cox said.

This article was provided by TheBodyPRO.com.

Comment by: la nena (orlando fl) Fri., Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm EDT
this is crazy dsf nicol consepcion lo remueve de un hogar humilde lo llevan de programa a programa lo ponen en foster home cojen dinero como loco para q en cuanto cumple su mayoria de edad lo tiran a la calle ese sistema lo deverian de quitar del gobierno no sirve

Comment by: margaret Newton (Union) Mon., May. 19, 2014 at 1:10 am EDT
when will vailabkthe drugs be a

when will the medicines be available to people on mediciad South Carolina

Comment by: Darry burton (Maysville ky 410456 ) Mon., May. 12, 2014 at 7:51 pm EDT
I need help I have heap c and can't get to lex ky for help can any one help me

Comment by: Miguelina Lee (Phildelphia PA ) Tue., Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:50 am EDT
Like to get information on HEPC

Comment by: PaisleyDeShazer (i do not know) Sun., Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:25 pm EDT
um my dad has hepatitis C and I do not really know how to react and I am 10 yers old and my mom told me and my dad did not want my mom to tell me and that made me mad at my dad but I did not want to get mad at him what do I do???:(

Comment by: tericeta (akron ohio) Fri., Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:51 am EDT
Im not a carrier but I do have hep c. What precautions do I take besides what I am doing now to prevent its progress.

Comment by: Susanta Biswas (Jaipur) Tue., Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:57 am EDT
What Is the symptoms of HVC

Comment by: james jones (fairmont wv) Thu., Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:54 pm EDT
I would love to b apart of ur team!!!

Comment by: William Raynor (Asheville NC) Sun., Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:57 am EDT
I am getting ready to start this new treatment for Hep C,I'm very confident and happy to know that this treatment will work as well as my doctors too,I have been on treatment in the past with the interferon and the meds,but that didn't work and the side effects were terrible and now with this new treatment I'm excited to know too that this treatment will not have side effects like the past treatments I have had,and that my HIV(30 years this June). will not be affected,I start this treatment on the 13th,next Thursday, and now we'll see what happens,I'll be in touch with updates on my status .very positive.

Comment by: Jeemo (Salt Lake City, Utah) Fri., Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:52 am EST
what was the treatment for hepatitis in 1945

Comment by: wesley snipes (reno,NV) Sat., Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:19 pm EST
what can you use to kill HCV? What can i clean with to disinfect around the house. I have two small children ages 6 and 7 that are neg. for the virus.

Comment by: steven (salt lake city utah 84101) Fri., Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm EST
Nice to fine out about these things to knowledge about