Spotlight Series on Hepatitis C

2014 HIV/Hepatitis C Coinfection Update

February 7, 2014

8/13

Turning the Tide: Treatment

Turning the Tide: Treatment

The need to effectively stage a patient's liver disease may be lessened in the wake of dramatic improvements on the HCV treatment front. Much as the evolution of HIV antiretrovirals into highly effective, minimally toxic options has rendered the "when to start" question increasingly moot for HIV treatment, multiple new generations of HCV medications may have the same effect on treatment of the virus.

Several waves of direct-acting antiretrovirals are now washing up on the HCV treatment shoreline. As researchers hone in more directly on HCV-specific proteins to disrupt, side effects become less likely and efficacy increases.

"The previous barriers to therapy are really disintegrating at this point in time, so I'm hoping that will encourage all of us to refer, and/or treat ourselves, more and more of these patients," Cox said. "We really don't need biopsy in many cases; the treatments are just much better in terms of efficacy and tolerability now."

This article was provided by TheBodyPRO.com.

Comment by: la nena (orlando fl) Fri., Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm EDT
this is crazy dsf nicol consepcion lo remueve de un hogar humilde lo llevan de programa a programa lo ponen en foster home cojen dinero como loco para q en cuanto cumple su mayoria de edad lo tiran a la calle ese sistema lo deverian de quitar del gobierno no sirve

Comment by: margaret Newton (Union) Mon., May. 19, 2014 at 1:10 am EDT
when will vailabkthe drugs be a

when will the medicines be available to people on mediciad South Carolina

Comment by: Darry burton (Maysville ky 410456 ) Mon., May. 12, 2014 at 7:51 pm EDT
I need help I have heap c and can't get to lex ky for help can any one help me

Comment by: Miguelina Lee (Phildelphia PA ) Tue., Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:50 am EDT
Like to get information on HEPC

Comment by: PaisleyDeShazer (i do not know) Sun., Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:25 pm EDT
um my dad has hepatitis C and I do not really know how to react and I am 10 yers old and my mom told me and my dad did not want my mom to tell me and that made me mad at my dad but I did not want to get mad at him what do I do???:(

Comment by: tericeta (akron ohio) Fri., Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:51 am EDT
Im not a carrier but I do have hep c. What precautions do I take besides what I am doing now to prevent its progress.

Comment by: Susanta Biswas (Jaipur) Tue., Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:57 am EDT
What Is the symptoms of HVC

Comment by: james jones (fairmont wv) Thu., Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:54 pm EDT
I would love to b apart of ur team!!!

Comment by: William Raynor (Asheville NC) Sun., Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:57 am EDT
I am getting ready to start this new treatment for Hep C,I'm very confident and happy to know that this treatment will work as well as my doctors too,I have been on treatment in the past with the interferon and the meds,but that didn't work and the side effects were terrible and now with this new treatment I'm excited to know too that this treatment will not have side effects like the past treatments I have had,and that my HIV(30 years this June). will not be affected,I start this treatment on the 13th,next Thursday, and now we'll see what happens,I'll be in touch with updates on my status .very positive.

Comment by: Jeemo (Salt Lake City, Utah) Fri., Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:52 am EST
what was the treatment for hepatitis in 1945

Comment by: wesley snipes (reno,NV) Sat., Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:19 pm EST
what can you use to kill HCV? What can i clean with to disinfect around the house. I have two small children ages 6 and 7 that are neg. for the virus.

Comment by: steven (salt lake city utah 84101) Fri., Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm EST
Nice to fine out about these things to knowledge about