Spotlight Series on Hepatitis C

2014 HIV/Hepatitis C Coinfection Update

February 7, 2014

2014 HIV/Hepatitis C Coinfection Update

The landscape of hepatitis C (HCV) management has undergone a near-fundamental transformation over the past couple of years. As new treatment options puff up like popcorn kernels on a hot stove and our understanding of the virus deepens, it's important to revisit what's changed -- and what further changes 2014 may hold in store.

Late in 2013, Andrea Cox, M.D., Ph.D., an associate professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, presented an update on HCV coinfection for an audience of HIV care providers. Read on for a summary of key points from her talk, including selected slides (which have been reposted with her permission).

Get Started

This article was provided by

Comment by: Karen (wa) Tue., May. 12, 2015 at 10:36 pm EDT
I was told that u can't get hep,c with sex true,

Comment by: Irving Montalvan (Worcester mass) Tue., Mar. 10, 2015 at 12:40 am EDT
I dont, but I do have hep c. Also, my body is cover with this legions or spots. Not to mention am also diabetic. Don't know what else to do! Can you guide me in the right direction? Please. Thanks.

Comment by: Lisa Carswell (Bryan College Station, tx) Fri., Mar. 6, 2015 at 10:38 am EST
Im wandering how i will get Cured 46 female needs The treatment The shots was Not sucessfull The Cost is abnormus just Want to be cured have no ideal how i contracted this diease has always been a monkey on my back at least im Not alone just a One in a billion with this Killer. Help

Comment by: la nena (orlando fl) Fri., Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm EDT
this is crazy dsf nicol consepcion lo remueve de un hogar humilde lo llevan de programa a programa lo ponen en foster home cojen dinero como loco para q en cuanto cumple su mayoria de edad lo tiran a la calle ese sistema lo deverian de quitar del gobierno no sirve

Comment by: margaret Newton (Union) Mon., May. 19, 2014 at 1:10 am EDT
when will vailabkthe drugs be a

when will the medicines be available to people on mediciad South Carolina

Comment by: Darry burton (Maysville ky 410456 ) Mon., May. 12, 2014 at 7:51 pm EDT
I need help I have heap c and can't get to lex ky for help can any one help me

Comment by: Miguelina Lee (Phildelphia PA ) Tue., Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:50 am EDT
Like to get information on HEPC

Comment by: PaisleyDeShazer (i do not know) Sun., Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:25 pm EDT
um my dad has hepatitis C and I do not really know how to react and I am 10 yers old and my mom told me and my dad did not want my mom to tell me and that made me mad at my dad but I did not want to get mad at him what do I do???:(

Comment by: tericeta (akron ohio) Fri., Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:51 am EDT
Im not a carrier but I do have hep c. What precautions do I take besides what I am doing now to prevent its progress.

Comment by: Susanta Biswas (Jaipur) Tue., Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:57 am EDT
What Is the symptoms of HVC

Comment by: james jones (fairmont wv) Thu., Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:54 pm EDT
I would love to b apart of ur team!!!

Comment by: William Raynor (Asheville NC) Sun., Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:57 am EDT
I am getting ready to start this new treatment for Hep C,I'm very confident and happy to know that this treatment will work as well as my doctors too,I have been on treatment in the past with the interferon and the meds,but that didn't work and the side effects were terrible and now with this new treatment I'm excited to know too that this treatment will not have side effects like the past treatments I have had,and that my HIV(30 years this June). will not be affected,I start this treatment on the 13th,next Thursday, and now we'll see what happens,I'll be in touch with updates on my status .very positive.

Comment by: Jeemo (Salt Lake City, Utah) Fri., Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:52 am EST
what was the treatment for hepatitis in 1945

Comment by: wesley snipes (reno,NV) Sat., Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:19 pm EST
what can you use to kill HCV? What can i clean with to disinfect around the house. I have two small children ages 6 and 7 that are neg. for the virus.

Comment by: steven (salt lake city utah 84101) Fri., Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm EST
Nice to fine out about these things to knowledge about