- Kilmarx PH, Supawitkul S, Wankrairoj M, et al. Explosive spread and effective control of human immunodeficiency virus in northernmost Thailand: the epidemic in Chiang Rai Province, 1988-99. AIDS 2000;14:2731-40.
- Van Griensven F, Varangrat A, Wimonsate W, et al. Trends in HIV prevalence, estimated HIV incidence, and risk behavior among men who have sex with men in Bangkok, Thailand, 2003-2007. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2010;53:234-9.
- Phanuphak N, Pattanachaiwit S, Pankam T, et al. Active voluntary counseling and testing with integrated CD4 count service can enhance early HIV testing and early CD4 count measurement: experiences from the Thai Red Cross anonymous clinic in Bangkok, Thailand. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011;56:244-52.
- Ananworanich J, Phanuphak N, Souza M, et al. Incidence and characterization of acute HIV-1 infection in a high-risk Thai population. AIDS 2008;49:151-5.
- Sungkanuparph S, Techasathit W, Utaipiboon C, et al. Thai national guidelines for antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1 infected adults and adolescents 2010. Asian Biomed 2010;4:515-28.
- Sullivan PS, Hamouda O, Delpech V, et al. Reemergence of the HIV epidemic among men who have sex with men in North America, Western Europe, and Australia, 1996-2005. Ann Epidemiol 2009;19:423-31.
- Dombrowski JC, Harrington RD, Golden MR. Evidence for the long-term stability of HIV transmission-associated sexual behavior after HIV diagnosis. Sex Transm Dis 2013;40:41-5.
- Grant R, Lama JR, Anderson RA, et al. Pre-exposure chemoprophylaxis for HIV prevention in men who have sex with men. N Engl J Med 2010;363:2587-99.
- Cohen M, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al. Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 2011;365:493-505.
* Alere Determine HIV 1/2 (Alere Medical Co., Ltd., Chiba, Japan), Double Check II HIV 1&2 (Orgenics Ltd., Yavne, Israel) (after February 2011 replaced by SD Bioline HIV-1/2 3.0 [Standard Diagnostics Inc., Kyonggi-do, Republic of Korea]), and Capillus HIV-1/HIV-2 (Trinity Biotech PLC, Bray, Ireland) (after November 2008 replaced by Core HIV-1&2 [Core Diagnostics, Birmingham, United Kingdom]).
† Rapid plasma reagin test, confirmed by immunochromatography (Alere Determine Syphilis TP, Alere Medical Co., Ltd., Chiba, Japan).
§ Antibody against hepatitis A virus by enzyme-linked immunoassay (Murex anti-HAV [total]) and antibody against hepatitis B virus surface antigen (Murex anti-HBs, Murex Biotech Ltd., Dartford, United Kingdom).
¶ EasyCD4 System (Guava Technologies Inc., Hayward, California).
** Currently ≤350 cells/µL in Thailand.
What is already known on this topic?
Continuing, increasing, and reemerging epidemics of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) have been reported among men who have sex with men (MSM) in the United States and elsewhere in the industrialized world. Limited information is available about the prevalence and incidence of HIV and STI infection among MSM in lower-income and lower-middle income countries.
What is added by this report?
Among MSM followed at a sexual health clinic in Bangkok, Thailand, during 2005-2011, the prevalence of HIV infection was 28.3% and of all stages of syphilis was 9.8%. Among those returning for HIV or syphilis testing before the end of 2011, the incidence of HIV infection was 6.3 per 100 person-years and of syphilis was 3.6 per 100 person-years.
What are the implications for public health practice?
The ongoing epidemics of HIV and syphilis infection in Bangkok MSM underscores the need for innovative and increased efforts to reduce their spread in this population.
TABLE. HIV and Syphilis Prevalence and Incidence Among Men Who Have Sex With Men, by Age Group and Calendar Year -- Silom Community Clinic, Bangkok, Thailand, 2005-2011