Statin Use in HIV-Positive People
Unless stated otherwise, references are to the Programme and Abstracts for the 20th conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI), 3-6 March 2013, Atlanta.
- Grinspoon S and Hsue P. Themed Discussion: Statin use and HIV: how sweet is it? 20th CROI 2013, Atlanta. Session 16. Monday,1:30-2:30 pm.
- Mills EJ et al. Efficacy and safety of statin treatment for cardiovascular disease: a network meta-analysis of 170,255 patients from 76 randomized trials. QJM, 2011. Feb;104(2):109-24. doi: 10.1093/qjmed/hcq165.
- Ridker PM et al. Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C-reactive Protein (Jupiter Study). N Engl J Med 2008; 359:2195-2207. 20 November 2008. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa0807646.
- Silverberg et al. Response to newly prescribed lipid-lowering therapy in patients with and without HIV infection. Annals Int Med, 3 March 2009;150(5):301-313.
- Dubé M et al. IDSA guidelines for the evaluation and management of dyslipidemia in Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)-infected adults receiving antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. (2003) 37(5): 613-627 doi:10.1086/378131.
- Moore RD et al. Association between use of HMG CoA reductase inhibitors and mortality in HIV-infected patients. PLoS ONE 6(7): e21843.
- Rasmussen L et al. Statin therapy and mortality in HIV+ individuals: a Danish nationwide population-based Cohort Study. 20th CROI 2013, Atlanta. Poster abstract 764.
- Drechsler H et al. Impact of statin exposure on mortality and non-AIDS complications in HIV patients on HAART. 20th CROI 2013, Atlanta. Poster abstract 765.
- Spagnuolo V et al. 766 Title: Association between statin use and type-2 diabetes mellitus occurrence among HIV-1+ Patients Receiving ART. 20th CROI 2013, Atlanta. Poster abstract 766.
- Lichtenstein K et al. Statin use Is associated with incident diabetes mellitus among patients in the HIV Outpatient Study. 20th CROI 2013, Atlanta. Poster abstract 767.
- Cholesterol Treatment Trialists Collaboration. Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 participants in 14 randomised trials of statins. Lancet, 366;(9493):1267 -- 1278, 8 October 2005. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67394-1.
- Cholesterol Treatment Trialists Collaboration. Efficacy and safety of more intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol: a meta-analysis of data from 170,000 participants in 26 randomised trials. Lancet, 376:(9753);1670-1681. 13 November 2010. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61350-5.
- Cholesterol Treatment Trialists Collaboration. Efficacy of cholesterol-lowering therapy in 18,686 people with diabetes in 14 randomised trials of statins: a meta-analysis. Lancet, 371:(9607):117-125, 12 January 2008. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60104-X2008.
- Sattar N et al. Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials. Lancet, 375;(9716):735-742, 27 February 2010. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61965-6.
- McComsey G et al. Effect of statins on immune activation and inflammation in HIV+ subjects on ART: a randomized placebo controlled trial.
- Sponseller C et al. Pitavastatin 4 mg Provides Greater Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Reduction Compared to Pravastatin 40 mg over 12 weeks of Treatment in HIV+ Adults with Dyslipidemia. Oral late breaker abstract 187LB.
Links to other websites are current at date of posting but not maintained.
Comment by: Bob C
Fri., Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:04 pm EDT
Was placed on Lipitor until I lost 60 lbs in three months....then was placed on Antara.....and again had another reaction rhabdomyalsis 20 lb loss in one week....7% body fat according to BMI
Comment by: Dave R
Thu., Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:14 pm EDT
I was very surprised to see that there is no mention at all in this article of the connection between statins and neuropathy. Between 30% and 45% of all people living with HIV end up with nerve damage, either due to certain antiretrovirals, or the virus itself, or even one of the 100 other possible causes. The point is that statins are notorious for causing nerve damage (neuropathy) as a side effect and certainly if you already have neuropathic problems, you should stay away from statins, as the condition can be made considerably worse. When a third of the HIV population suffers from neuropathy to one degree or another, then surely an article about statins and people living with HIV should at least mention it don't you think?
Add Your Comment:
(Please note: Your name and comment will be public, and may even show up in
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy
Please note: Knowledge about HIV changes rapidly. Note the date of this summary's publication, and before treating patients or employing any therapies described in these materials, verify all information independently. If you are a patient, please consult a doctor or other medical professional before acting on any of the information presented in this summary. For a complete listing of our most recent conference coverage, click here.