Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

Way-Long-Acting Integrase Inhibitor for PrEP?: One Study Whose Impact Will Last Well Beyond CROI 2013

By Josep M. Llibre, M.D., and Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

March 14, 2013

We just mentioned the opportunities of a well-tolerated, long-acting medication to address the challenges of PrEP. Last summer, we learned of the investigational integrase inhibitor S/GSK1265744 that, in a long-acting, nanoparticle formulation, has a plasma half-life after single intramuscular injection of 21 to 50 days. Detectable, potentially therapeutic drug levels were measured after 4 months with several intramuscular doses. (Did we say way-long-acting?)

We learned at CROI of the provocative results of S/GSK1265744 for the prevention of simian HIV (SHIV) infection following repeated rectal challenge in SHIV-uninfected rhesus macaques following a single intramuscular injection. In the placebo group, all eight monkeys -- compared to none of the eight treated monkeys -- became infected with SHIV. Importantly, the drug was safe and plasma concentrations of GSK744 in protected macaques are comparable to those achieved in humans, providing support for future studies.

Which other studies presented at CROI 2013 will have lasting impact long after memories of the conference itself have faded? Read more of Dr. Llibre and Dr. Young's top picks.

Copyright © 2013 Remedy Health Media, LLC. All rights reserved.

This article was provided by It is a part of the publication The 20th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2013). You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: The Body PRO is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through The Body PRO should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.