HIV JournalView

Top 10 HIV Clinical Developments of 2012

December 2012

1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  Next >
David Wohl, M.D.

David Wohl, M.D.

Mayan prophesies of doom in 2012 are, fortunately, false (although newly discovered stone fragments find that the ancients were actually predicting catastrophe for the Tea Party sometime in early November rather than the cessation of life on Earth). This has not stopped clinicians, researchers, policy-makers and a certain Secretary of State from ardently declaring that the end is near -- however, in this case, it is the last days of AIDS being predicted.

This is an unprecedented optimism that is fueled by a stream of good news: Therapies are getting better and better, effective prevention -- once wishful thinking -- is a reality that is evident in the downward slope of new HIV diagnoses in many parts of the globe, and there has even been less bad news from the HIV vaccine development effort. Who can blame battle-weary veterans of the war against HIV/AIDS for starting to see distant tunnel lights?

Below are some of the stories from the past year that left us feeling good -- or that showed what work still needs to be done.

Table of Contents

1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  Next >

This article was provided by TheBodyPRO.com. It is a part of the publication HIV JournalView.

Comment by: Ashley (QMsiijnYJx) Thu., Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:18 am EST
the HIV virus is very fragile once it is oudtsie of the human body. when it is exposed to the air, it dies in about 2 hours. so, dried semen will only have dead HIV cells. you are safe.

Comment by: Mani (UubwaSyASLWZnBAlN) Thu., Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:29 am EST
I've talked to both my patrens about it at differnt times. My mom thinks it nessasary. She knows that teens r going to have sex and they need to be educated.My dad thinks its better to be educated then to not know anythingI think sex-ed is needed for everyone. I never though my dad (the republican who was in the army) Would be so libral

Comment by: harleymc Tue., Dec. 25, 2012 at 11:02 pm EST
I was very happy to read this article.
I'm someone who's been on combinations containing boosted PIs and suffer badly with them. When my current script runs out in a few days I'll be switching to TDF/FTC/rilpivirine + raltegravir (already on the raltegravir). It was reassurring to read of an improvement in outcomes.

It's one thing to have a fabulous viral load but when side effects are both vile and life threatening, a change sounds brilliant.

Comment by: Anonymous Mon., Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:48 am EST
good message of hope

Comment by: Sean (Dublin, Ireland) Fri., Dec. 14, 2012 at 6:38 am EST
Thanks for the section called "The Cure Agenda". If YOU are feeling optimistic, that makes me feel optimistic.

Happy Yule!

Comment by: Patrick D (South Deerfield, MA) Thu., Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm EST
Dr. Wohl writes "In the past, I have played with the HIV therapies of patients doing well, and on more than a few occasions I have been burned," then describes some of the benefits that may come from switching from a more complex drug regime to a more simplified one. Dr. Wohl clearly has his patients best interests in mind, but I want to remind him that when a switch in meds fails (temporarily or permanently) for patients who had been doing well on an older regime, it isn't the doctor who gets burned, it's the patient. I have had occasion to remind my own doctors of this, when they seem to want to fiddle with a regime that is working perfectly well, with negligible side effects, for no other reason than to put their signature on my treatment.

It can indeed be a benefit to simplify a drug regime, especially for patients who have trouble taking their meds in the first place. But as I've reminded several doctors, for many HIV patients, HIV drugs are not the only drugs we're taking (and that's not taking supplements into account), so simplifying the HIV drug regime alone doesn't result in not taking other drugs at other times of the day, and thus may not be a strong reason for changing a regime that's working.